Infected red line up legs! What’s happening??

I copy/pasted this text from another thread that someone was having a similar situation. This text was my own answer to that thread because someone tagged me.
If you compare early photos in this thread I’m hoping someone else thinks they see improvement besides me. I don’t want to be imagining it.

Henry’s leg(s) is still bumpy red but the bumps are not so big and I believe the swelling and redness are reduced. The area has been so red and swollen it’s not really easy to tell. My method had become to every night wash his feet and then his legs with warm water and dawn dish detergent which I have in a pump diluted with white vinegar. (I won’t say the vinegar/detergent combo has anything to do with any improvement but ya never know. It’s just something I do for my bathroom hand soap.) Then I soak his legs in a bowl or the bathroom sink filled with very warm water and Epsom salts ideally 15 minutes. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Early on I found a couple of white bumps with a bit of pus. Also many follicles that needed to have feathers coaxed to peek through the skin. I used clean, sharp tweezers. After the soak and inspecting for feathers and pus I rinse with warm running water under the faucet. Then I dry and apply a mixture I made of coconut oil and VetRx. (I gently melted a couple tbsp coconut oil, allowed it to cool to room temperature, then dropped several drops of VetRx and mixed before it solidified. I cooled that in the fridge to solidify it then covered it and keep it in a cupboard where it won’t melt.) I just rub it all over the leg especially saturating any leg/foot feathers. I have tried wrapping with vetwrap but that was difficult because of the melting oil and it was difficult to remove because cutting it off made me afraid of cutting tender feathers. He’s tiny but powerful for a banty. It’s painful to touch his legs and he lets me know. But by doing this every day I think I’m getting somewhere. I believe it’s going to take a good chunk of time but it will resolve. Oh, another thing is I usually have to blow dry (on low) his belly and legs. It’s getting chilly at night. I do treatments at early evening when it’s easy to grab him inside the coop.
Now for my own question. I think I need a lesson in feather anatomy. The center of some of the emerging feathers have a rigid black stick. I’ve seen a few fall off when washing, but some are kinda flush with the skin. I tried to get a picture of the long black one sticking up from the follicle with while feather also beginning to grow through that follicle. Another photo shows them as black specks flush with skin all along the leg. What is this? Is it part of the feather? It’s not cuticle cuz I see that flaking off easily as I wash his legs. If it’s not part of the feather should I be trying to remove it? I accidentally pulled out a feather with a black stick one time when washing the feather.
4E419BDD-DAB7-4EFF-9CEC-5709B8EB48FA.jpeg
41A05322-36C1-4648-AF0A-0A964B30C1AB.jpeg
D6CFD38F-BEBA-4022-A5A7-7824E3C6F0B3.jpeg

@Aunt Angus
Ok, I’ve been using Nustock since October 14. I think the red is becoming narrower along the length of the leg. The black spots are almost totally gone. Feathers seem to be growing. Compare picture from October 8 with today.

View attachment 2877290View attachment 2877292
I was thinking about you and your chicken yesterday, actually. My Cochin's foot is looking similarly inflamed. She has a very mild case of bumblefoot. Ad I was treating it, I noticed her one foot was needing attention. For my girl, I think it's the combination of molting and cold, wet weather. I soaked her foot, cleaned her foot feathers out with warm water, and then used some Nustock. I meant to ask you how it was going but completely forgot. Glad to hear you are seeing some improvement. I'll get pics of Iris's foot, too, so I can track any progress.

Wow! They look so much better!

Whew! You've been working on those legs for a looong time...
Thanks. Yes it’s been some work. Good thing he’s a banty. But he’s so smart. I go in at night as they are setting down to grab him. He sees it’s me and bolts out the pop door! Every time! Once I have him he settles down and is a good boy but he shivers. Anxiety. I’m so glad he’s not aggressive. He’s such a sweetheart.

Back
Top Bottom