Infected red line up legs! What’s happening??

Only a couple of tiny specks of pink! Foot/leg feathers are coming in nicely! I think it’s time to stop treating him. He deserves a break. :love
ED6F0EE1-7F59-4951-807D-B3D179D20EA5.jpeg

@Astrx this seems to be working for my rooster. How is yours doing?
hello they are all fixed now.I washed his feet with warm water then added Vaseline to the red spots and did this every 2-3 days.I also noticed that the heat might be causing this because it’s been chilly and raining a lot this past week and his feet seem to be not as red in the cold.But yes the red on his feet is mostly almost gone he still has a little bit of red but you can barely see it and this is probably common with feather chickens since post I’ve seen with chickens that have this all have feathered feet my rooster is a Cochin chicken mixed with something but I’m not sure with what

hello they are all fixed now.I washed his feet with warm water then added Vaseline to the red spots and did this every 2-3 days.I also noticed that the heat might be causing this because it’s been chilly and raining a lot this past week and his feet seem to be not as red in the cold.But yes the red on his feet is mostly almost gone he still has a little bit of red but you can barely see it and this is probably common with feather chickens since post I’ve seen with chickens that have this all have feathered feet my rooster is a Cochin chicken mixed with something but I’m not sure with what
Yes I agree it’s a feathered foot breed problem. My rooster is a White Frizzle Cochin Bantam x Buff Brahma Bantam. I’m glad to hear yours is better too! 🎉😁👍🏻

Yes I agree it’s a feathered foot breed problem. My rooster is a White Frizzle Cochin Bantam x Buff Brahma Bantam. I’m glad to hear yours is better too! 🎉😁👍🏻
Totally. I just noticed after pur big rainstorm that my Cochin's foot was a little swollen and red. I found an ingrown feather, too, but the whole side of her foot was similar to the pics in this thread. I think all the wet ground irritated it. It's much better now.

Makes me feel bad for our feather-legged friends. Looks painful when it gets like that...

Totally. I just noticed after pur big rainstorm that my Cochin's foot was a little swollen and red. I found an ingrown feather, too, but the whole side of her foot was similar to the pics in this thread. I think all the wet ground irritated it. It's much better now.

Makes me feel bad for our feather-legged friends. Looks painful when it gets like that...
🤔 hmmm. So now I’m wondering…if we had done nothing at all would this have self resolved? Wash the leg washing alone the main healing factor? Maybe various ointments weren’t needed? We hadn’t used the same ointments after all. For all of my searching I never found any definite information or solutions. Also is it direct related to bumble foot? I also found Henry’s condition due to a very minor case of bumble foot. Another thing I noticed is that the few actual reports from people experiencing this all had it on roosters. I have foot feathered females (Marans) but they haven’t had any problems.
Just some thoughts. No real evidence. I think I might look deeper cuz maybe it will happen again next fall.

🤔 hmmm. So now I’m wondering…if we had done nothing at all would this have self resolved? Wash the leg washing alone the main healing factor? Maybe various ointments weren’t needed? We hadn’t used the same ointments after all. For all of my searching I never found any definite information or solutions. Also is it direct related to bumble foot? I also found Henry’s condition due to a very minor case of bumble foot. Another thing I noticed is that the few actual reports from people experiencing this all had it on roosters. I have foot feathered females (Marans) but they haven’t had any problems.
Just some thoughts. No real evidence. I think I might look deeper cuz maybe it will happen again next fall.
Maybe... That's an interesting thought, and it could very well be. My Cochin is the only one in my flock who had that issue. My other feather-footed breed was fine.

I don't have any Marans. Are their feet heavily feathered? My Cochin's are. Brahmas aren't as feathery, neither are Silkies. I wonder if that makes a difference.

Yes maybe since I only added Vaseline and water to my roosters legs and they got fixed up.And now that you mention it the posts I’ve seen with this red stuff on a chickens feet are always roosters.I have some 6 month old Brahma hens and they’ve never had any red stuff on their legs only my Cochin rooster.If it ever happens again try to just add Vaseline and warm water and see if that fixes his legs up so you won’t have to use lots of ointments on his feet

Back
Top Bottom