Infected swelling on rabbit's face

Fishychix

quando omni flunkus moritati
May 20, 2020
NE Ohio
I have a rabbit that had a huge swelling on his face. Upon trying to get him out of his cage it burst open. Lots of pus with "bits" and it was bloody at the end. I will try to irrigate with saline to make sure its clean, but o only have saline packets for nasal rinse. I do have single use syringes. The skin is pretty hard for about a half dollar size - 2"(?).
no idea if its an abcess from an overgrown tooth, but i think rabbits teeth dont grow up like a rat, right? Or if its a bite or sting of some kind that got infected. It was not there, or at least much smaller and not noticeable, a couple of days ago.
i looked at his teeth and they look perfect.
hes inside for the time being. They live outside usually.

Attachments​

• 305FAE94-1CB0-4757-BE25-274EC9C0CE52.jpeg
    305FAE94-1CB0-4757-BE25-274EC9C0CE52.jpeg
    419.5 KB · Views: 1

And
https://web.as.miami.edu/hare/jawab... penicillin,acidic environment of the stomach.
Screenshot_20230529-192056.png

We managed to get it flushed and the outer skin came off unexpectedly. That ended up being a good thing of course. As it let us really clean it and get a very good look at things.
i'll post a picture of it cleaned in a bit. The part that came off was rock hard and has scabs on it. He also has acne type spots on the other side of his face.
his dad has the same thing on both sides of his face and the vet cant figure it out and it never responded to antibiotics. But its also never progressed to anything.
E1054B29-8885-4BFC-A8BD-2657226F2176.jpeg
55B24EE5-A72C-4A82-B356-B5D5C0822200.jpeg
698CAC90-9DBD-40D8-929F-6055D120CCD7.jpeg
D917F561-FDB3-4AD9-B387-174186F1C9A5.jpeg

Interesting ... Sounded like an abscess of some kind. FYI rabbits teeth do grow like rats, I've had both. Glad your rabbit's doing better ... Since his dad had it, wonder if it's genetic or possible some kind of sinus thing (location). Maybe costly but maybe the Vet could send the "thing" to a lab for biopsy?

Interesting ... Sounded like an abscess of some kind. FYI rabbits teeth do grow like rats, I've had both. Glad your rabbit's doing better ... Since his dad had it, wonder if it's genetic or possible some kind of sinus thing (location). Maybe costly but maybe the Vet could send the "thing" to a lab for biopsy?
Huh. Did not know that about the teeth. I couldve sworn they grow down. There doesnt seem to be any sign of a tooth though, but sinuses could be it if it isnt an insect or spider related injury.
his dads face never swelled like this though. His was, and still is, just the same bumps that dont seem to get any bigger but also dont go away. Its been two years for him and his bumps.

Possible this one got infected by being irritated or something but glad it "burst" and relieved itself.
That's why rabbits "gnaw" on things, I always gave mine some alfalfa cubes but ended up removing at night cause they loved to "play" with it too by tossing around the cage. My cages were right out the dining window.

Back
Top Bottom