1. midwestchickenwrangler

midwestchickenwrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    I have a Coronation Sussex hen that has a very ugly infection in one wing. It looks like a golf ball under her skin when looking at her. Upon inspection, there is a very large black mass under her skin and she bleeds from it. I assume the black color is from dried blood and infection. I have been putting a topical antibiotic on it for a couple days. Is there an antibiotic I can put in her water to help clear things up faster, or anything else I can do to help her? She lives with one rooster. I somewhat think that maybe he mounted her and cut her wing, as the injury is in the first joint from the tip of her wing where I normally see rooster wear.

2. ImpulsiveFarmer

ImpulsiveFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Chautauqua County, NY
    It sounds like the wound has abscessed. You should probably try to drain it, although I would get someone else's opinion first or call a vet. That's just what I would do with a cat (mines always getting in fights an getting abscesses, after a while I got tired of paying a vet for something I could do myself). I'm not sure if the protocol is the same with a chicken. You can buy antibiotics that you put in the water at tractor supply and most feed stores. I normally use blu-kote on my chickens when they have open wounds, but an antibiotic ointment is just as good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by