Infection in wing


9 Years
Mar 6, 2010
Greenfield, Indiana
I have a Coronation Sussex hen that has a very ugly infection in one wing. It looks like a golf ball under her skin when looking at her. Upon inspection, there is a very large black mass under her skin and she bleeds from it. I assume the black color is from dried blood and infection. I have been putting a topical antibiotic on it for a couple days. Is there an antibiotic I can put in her water to help clear things up faster, or anything else I can do to help her? She lives with one rooster. I somewhat think that maybe he mounted her and cut her wing, as the injury is in the first joint from the tip of her wing where I normally see rooster wear.


7 Years
Jun 29, 2012
Chautauqua County, NY
It sounds like the wound has abscessed. You should probably try to drain it, although I would get someone else's opinion first or call a vet. That's just what I would do with a cat (mines always getting in fights an getting abscesses, after a while I got tired of paying a vet for something I could do myself). I'm not sure if the protocol is the same with a chicken. You can buy antibiotics that you put in the water at tractor supply and most feed stores. I normally use blu-kote on my chickens when they have open wounds, but an antibiotic ointment is just as good.

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom