Infectious Coryza in my flock... now what?

Eggcessive provided some informative links. Coryza is a secondary symptom of Chronic respiratory disease. Sulmet (sodium sulfamethazine) is the common treatment for it. Once the foul odor clears up and there is still runny eyes, nose, throat rattles, then you must change medication. Tylan is commonly used for CRD. if Coryza becomes a problem in the flock, it is recommended to vaccinate. The vaccine is drawn from the bottle and kept in the refrigerator. It is .5 cc anywhere under the skin. It is done again 3-4 weeks later. Much should be considered regarding viruses; i.e. the origin of birds, what viruses are common in your area. A state lab would be a good source of information: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/downloads/labs_app.pdf

I think I have Coryza spreading through my flock. My sweet Cochan started showing signs of something on Friday. We started her on antibiotics and she still hasn't rebounded. Now one of my Golden Buff's is showing signs. This is not good. We, like you brought 4 new pullets into our existing flock. If I had it to do all over again I would not do it.

Please keep us posted on what works for you. I am going to change from Tetracycline to Sulfa tomorrow if I can get it.

I have Coryza in my flock but I don't want to get rid of them. some have had the sickness but now they don't and are laying and eating, but more than half are sick, skinny and smelly. Anything i could do for the non-sick ones?

I'm so sorry you have this going thru your flock. We had it go thru ours and we had to cull every last one. It broke my heart. We had to remove dirt, disinfect and then waited 2 months before starting over. If you decide to treat it that means antibiotics forever and any new chickens you bring in will be susceptible

Ps to my post... Are you by any chance near Driftwood and Austin? The lady that sold us infected chickens didn't bother to tell us her chickens were sick until ours got sick.

We tried to save 2 that didn't show symptoms and within a month one of the 2 had it. Buy from someone reputable . We actually started back over with day old chicks from Myers to make sure we don't go thru this again.

No, I'm in Medina county area. I dont buy from Meyers because they have bad genes in their fancy flock. 2 out of 3 chicks I buy usually end up cross-beak or deformed. I like going there for Egg layers though. I will cull the ones that show symptoms, but there are 10 that I love so much and I can't part with them. I will keep them in a separate coop and I will start over in the spring. I will go to college for Avian vet tech next year. I want to figure this disease out... -.- and Mereks...

Back
Top Bottom