Infectious Coryza

ccoomber

Songster
10 Years
Aug 22, 2009
Redhill, UK
My 3 chickens have been diagnosed with infectious Coryza and i have come to the sad conclusion of culling them. I will disinfect the coop with Virkon and move it anything else i should do before new chickens? I have an incubator full of eggs, hopefully soon to be chicks so want to be clear of infection for them? How long can it survive in the soil? I'm so sad and depressed and hope my eggs hatch successfully on thursday to cheer me up! (I am never buying live chickens again, only eggs!!!)
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

Last edited:
They told me that the disease lived in the soil for 3 weeks in the hot dry summertime, but longer if the soil was damp. I soaked EVERYTHING in bleach and waited 6 months before I ever got anymore birds. Of course, you feeders, waterers, nest boxes and ANYTHING else they had contact with will need to be cleaned or thrown away. Also, don't bury the birds, you have to burn them.

Infected flocks are a constant threat to uninfected flocks. Transmission is by direct contact, airborne droplets, and contamination of drinking water.

Egg transmission does not occur.

I can't find any information about how long it will survive in the soil or out in the open, but if it were me, I would vaccinate my new chicks, just to be safe.

Just be very careful with your new chicks and wash everything down and keep those hands and feet clean when you go into the brooding area. You might also want to disinfect the eggs and incubator with oxine before they hatch.​

I know its treatable but usually the infected birds are carriers and i can't keep doing this. I'm sure my two pekins were carriers and my silkie was at deaths door. Its heart breaking but i want to be able to expand my flock without worry. I didn't make this decision lightly. Also i have a 4.5 week old Lavender Aruacuna who i have managed to keep infection clear and i'd like to keep it that way. I have no easy access to the vaccine here either, so could not vaccinate further additions.

Thanks for the replies x

I have been though coryza as well it is a horrible thing. I sprinkled agriculture lime over the soil and in the coop. My silkie had her first batch of babies not long ago and they are all doing fine. Bleach does nothing at all in the soil. Dont use plain lime though it will burn your chickens make sure it is agriculture lime. Hope all goes well

Back
Top Bottom