infectious coryza?????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mother of All, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Mother of All

Mother of All Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    Can anyone help with this? my flock has been attacked with this and I have lost about 15 birds. two more won't open their eyes and I have the rest on tetracycline. eggs are low but haven't ate eggs in about 3 weeks now. I have heard that I need to cull the entire flock. I have been told that it is all due to the wet weather we have had and to keep them on tetracycline for a few days and then don't eat the eggs for about 30 after stopping the tetracycline. We are lot. Hepl please

2. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Ok, I will try to help if I can. there is a lengthy post on here from one of the mods about their battle with this. It is an awful thing to deal with. If you are up for the fight, there are injections and the such you can do. IF not I would cull. If you do a search I am sure you'll find it. I'll try to find it. I think I may have had my first hen with it, she has this awful odor near her head, but no facial swelling at all. There is also an herbal way to treat if you want to PM me I will walk you thru it.

3. Mother of All

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    what kind of herbal ?

4. darbella

darbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Make sure it is croyza, i thought that was what my chickens had this past fall, and it turned out to be a bad respiratory issue that cleared up with 2 tylan injections over a 48 hour period. It was like a miracle! If they have a really bad smell at their faces, then it probably is coryza.

5. Mother of All

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    i took two dead chicks up and had them looked at at auburn unv. this is what they said I had.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I would cull. Disinfect everything with oxine and put down agricultural lime on the soil. I would wait several months before introducing new chickens to your pen...it also might help if you put sand in their run/pen.

7. Mother of All

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    that is 45 chickens/roosters.

8. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    If that is what you have, I tend to agree with Dawg53. You need to cull and start over with a clean slate. This stuff is terrible and you will never be completely free of it if you dont.

9. darbella

darbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Oh that is aweful. I am sorry you have to deal with this, even birds that recover will remain carriers and can infect new birds and you shouldnt go near others birds because it can transfer. That is what I have read of anyone knows this to be tru can you please comment?

10. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I would cull it is just to much worry not since any surviving birds will be carriers any new birds you bring in will then have a chance to catch it. If you sale any birds it could infected someone else's flock you could even carry it on your shoes or cloths. Any times of stress can bring this back out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by