Inferiority Complex

birdsofparadise

Songster
11 Years
Nov 15, 2008
North Kohala, Hawaii
I have been toying with the idea of ordering some Black Shamo chicks simply because they fascinate me. Sort of the T-Rex of the chicken world. I finally took the plunge and received my order today. What I didnʻt know is that the shamo chicks would be dwarfed by the buff cochins and ameraucanas. They are being elbowed out of the feeder and waterer by their much bigger brooder mates. In fact, they seem to be about the same size as pheasant chicks!

So, is this where the tough guy attitude comes from... After a childhood of having to fight for everything, they finally grow into their feathers and decide that they arenʻt going to take it anymore. Maybe oriental chicks are taught karate in the shell. HY YAH - take that you Jersey Giant!

I would immediately put in more feeders and wateres, before you discover they aren't being tough enough to get what they need.

My philosophy is I always have enough so every chick can easily find a spot to eat or drink all at once. That way I don't have to worry about anyone starving to death because they are smaller or weaker.

Very funny. Actually the reason they are so small is that the eggs are smaller. Give them a couple weeks and they grow a lot. However, in the words of Julia Keeling (The Shamo Lady), "Until they reach a certain age, they are big puddings". Now, after that certain age, be prepared for complete dominance over all the birds in your yard. As a matter of fact, some bloodlines are extremely hard to raise as they fight to kill from an early age. Be prepared to pen all of them seperately. Only male and female can coexist. You are aware that "Shamo" means Fighter" in Japanese???? I will say that once you have a Shamo experience, you may find that other breeds aren`t as interresting. OK to PM me with questions. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom