Info for raising chicks.

Ok, I dont think I can keep them indoors. I was hoping to put them outside right away. Like I said, my neighbor puts hers outside right away so maybe we are warm enough for that? I'm looking at chicken houses online at tractor supply and am a bit confused. I really didnt want to spend too much but the cheaper ones seem too small based on your numbers.
If you don't want to keep them inside you can just get adults. But you NEED to research a lot before getting a new animal. What they need to eat, what supplies they need, how much space, how to care of them, etc. Animals aren't machines that you can just buy and put away when you don't need them.

I am a new chick owner too - mine are five weeks old. If you don’t have a few hundred dollars to spend (food, supplies, probiotics, bedding, brooder, heat plate, etc) and then a few more hundred to spend on a coop (the wire is like $150 alone if you choose to build one yourself!), then don’t do it.

Aside from the money, you have to want to research and ask questions before and during, and spend a lot of time caring for them. They aren’t low maintenance...in fact, we have dogs, cats, rabbits, and I’ve owned horses, and chickens are the most fragile / take the most time so far. They need to be checked for pasty butt, and then one starts yawning a bunch so maybe there’s a problem with its crop, and what about one being egg bound when they’re laying? 10 times more complicated than I thought before I started researching...you have to be committed...they aren't a toy.
I agree. I'm a new owner too, chicks are 4 weeks old. They are so fragile and take dedication.

I don't understand. Is this the wrong spot to ask for information?

This is a fine spot to ask for information.
People are just being rude because they don't like what you did with your first set of chicks.

I agree with them that it's best to learn about what an animal needs, before you get the animal.

But the past is past, and you cannot go back and change it, so learning about chickens NOW is the next-best thing, and that is what you're doing. :thumbsup

This site has quite a few articles about taking care of chickens.
Here's one about raising chicks:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens.47691/

There are also articles about other aspects of raising chickens, and quite a lot of articles about various styles and sizes of chicken coops.

Ok, I guess it's just me then because I honestly don't understand why people are upset. I work all day. She stays home. She obviously has the time,shes always out there with her chickens anyways. I dont know why me asking for a friendly neighbor is such a horrible thing? I realize now that her older hens wont raise the chicks but then just give them back. She wants to complain but wont even give them back!
Only a tought, but if you work all day and you think you don't have the time, why do you want chickens? They need your time, too. They need to be cleaned, to be fed and watered and you should also spend some time with them so you can know asap if something isn't right

Not trying to be rude, just wanting to help.

Chickens are not like humans when it comes to offspring. They only protect the ones that they hatch when broody (or think they hatched if fostering but that's different too than what you did) but not any other bird's. They're also generally a few years old in my experience before they get to the point of brooding being likely

Ok, I guess it's just me then because I honestly don't understand why people are upset. I work all day. She stays home. She obviously has the time,shes always out there with her chickens anyways. I dont know why me asking for a friendly neighbor is such a horrible thing? I realize now that her older hens wont raise the chicks but then just give them back. She wants to complain but wont even give them back!

If you had asked her first, I'm sure it would have been very different. Either she would have raised the chicks, or she would have told you why not.

But because she just found the chicks in her yard, she figured that someone irresponsibly dumped them there, and no longer wanted them.

And she already explained somewhere (I forget which thread) that she thinks her chickens have a contagious disease, so she is not letting ANY chickens leave her property. Those chicks are already exposed by being in her chicken pen, and she doesn't want them to spread the disease any further.

Hey there @Newtochickens1!

I’m sorry that people on here aren’t being very kind. I do agree that your decision with the first chicks was not the best idea, but I’m sure you have learned that by now.

My suggestion is, if you really want chickens, is to research as much as possible, make sure you have the time (at least 30 minutes during weekdays,) maybe a few hours on weekends to say, clean the coop, hang out with them, and such.

When picking out a coop, if you want 4 hens, make sure at least 16sq ft per hen inside the henhouse, and 40sq ft per hen in the run.

Research what type of breed you want, if you want a high egg laying rate, ones with good temperaments, good in confined spaces, and then see what they have available at your local TSC.

Make sure if you get chicks to have proper feeder, waterer, and chick food. And a good plastic bin with plenty of space. You will also need some sort of bedding, like pine shavings or newspapers. And a heat source. A heat lamp with a red lightbulb works, or a heating pad sort of thing. The brooder should probably be 90 degrees for their first week. And you will probably have to clean the brooder out a few times a week.
If you have a spare bathtub, you could put them in there, or if you have an extra corner in a garage, or something like that. Just make sure it’s not to drafty.

It’s fun to see them grow up, and they are so cute. For optimal temperament, try holding each chick gently for 10 minutes or so a couple times a week.

Im fairly new with keeping chickens, so all this info might not be accurate, but hopefully this helps! Wishing you luck with your chicks, if you get any. Maybe try sending your neighbor an apology or something.
Just remember, chicks are not toys, it’s rather like getting a few (very cheap) dogs. Even though they’re considered livestock, they can be great companions. Also remember that chicks themselves aren’t that expensive (often 3-4$ Per chick) which isn’t much more expensive than a new t-shirt or a couple of donuts.

Good luck! :)

When picking out a coop, if you want 4 hens, make sure at least 16sq ft per hen inside the henhouse, and 40sq ft per hen in the run.
I think you got the numbers a little wrong--common advice is 4 square feet per hen in the coop, and 10 square feet per hen in the run. So the numbers you gave are right for 4 hens, but bigger than needed for each hen. (More space isn't a problem, but it's nice to know what's the minimum and what's extra-generous.)

Other than that, you seem to have covered the basics pretty well :thumbsup

I think you got the numbers a little wrong--common advice is 4 square feet per hen in the coop, and 10 square feet per hen in the run. So the numbers you gave are right for 4 hens, but bigger than needed for each hen. (More space isn't a problem, but it's nice to know what's the minimum and what's extra-generous.)

Other than that, you seem to have covered the basics pretty well :thumbsup
Oh right! I guess I made a mistake... I meant 16 sq ft for the whole coop, not per chicken (same for the run, 40sq ft for the whole run.) Oops!

21 week!? I didnt realize it took so long.

My neighbor has always out her chicks in the chicken house. I would ask her but currently shes not speaking to me other than telling me to come to this site before getting new chicks. I'll look for the chick crumb when I'm at the tractor supply getting chicks again.
I get the Purina Medicated Chick Starter for mine, from the time theyre out of the incubator, for about 3 weeks, then I start them on regular Chick Starter for the next 5+ weeks.

Back
Top Bottom