info info info

artnvic

Hatching
7 Years
May 12, 2012
were going to start out with 4 barred plymounth rocks reason we were told they are a doscil & less noisy chicken ,copared to your avrage clucker,so our grand children will be able to enjoy them also and having some respect for our nabors. If our coop & run (which Im starting to build know ) I plan to make it fully varmit prof top bottom and sides what I would like to know does the door going into the coop from the run have to be closed every night and re open rvery morming? or can I just leave it open all the time during the summer mounths ?. does any one have any Ideas on ground covering in there run instead of just a dirt floor??? how cold can this breed stand during the winter with out indangering them ? me live on the Wiscinsin? Ill. border Thanks ArtnVic

I don't raise chickens so I don't have answers for you but
WelcometoBYC.gif

If your run is 100% predator proof then it would be safe to keep the coop door open, but I would advise closing it at night. This keeps the chickens 101% safe at night, and also keeps cold night drafts out.

As for flooring, dirt is the easiest to set up (just do nothing) but can cause problems later on. Unless you have a grass or dirt floor, you will likely need bedding. Wood shavings or pelleted products, sawdust, sand, wood chips, and chopped hay or straw can work well. Staw will need to be replaced often, though. Concrete works well as an under-bedding floor, and to make it super easy to clean you can cover it with linoleum. Wood can also be used but eventually rots.

If you have a grass or dirt floor, then bury the fencing about a foot so that predators don't tunnel.

They like the dirt as the can scratch and roll in it.. As Far as Barred Rocks go they are great Chickens but my Roo can get on a roll crowing several times a day .. And he even Crows when the mail comes to let me know. The hens are quiet but can get nice and clucky especially when laying an Egg. My Barred Rock Roo has a sore Foot right now .. He is very large but sits on my lap calmly while I soak his foot for ten minutes at a time .. Sweet Bird and I think Pretty . I close my door all year round I think it makes them be calm and settle down but I dont have any real proof of that .. just habbit now .
welcome-byc.gif

I am new to chiken raising to i have two barred rocks 2 buffs and 4 new hampshires and they are all quite the barred rocks are kinda noisey when i hold them but over all i luv them !! Just got 2 cochins and 2 polish chicks just for looks I cant wait to see them all grown up !!

Hello and :welcome

Buff orps are friendly breeds that are pretty good with kids. As for your coop, if it's secure all the way round you can leave the door open to the run. We don't have predators in our area so we leave the door open 24/7 anyway :lol:
You can use wood chips or grass clippings, but our coop has a dirt floor and the chickens don't seem to have a problem with it!

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

Back
Top Bottom