(INFO NEEDED) dark skinned meat birds (INFO NEEDED)

silkie is the only thing that comes to my mind . . . there are those really super rare all dark skinned birds . . . I think they are mediterainan but I don't even know their name and have never seen one in person.

Quote:
I think you might be thinking of ayam cemani, or swedish black hens. Those are (like you said) really hard to get ahold of. You might be able to get a dark skinned meat bird by crossing a silkie rooster to a cornish cross hen (Im not sure if it would work or not though)

Quote:
I think you might be thinking of ayam cemani, or swedish black hens. Those are (like you said) really hard to get ahold of. You might be able to get a dark skinned meat bird by crossing a silkie rooster to a cornish cross hen (Im not sure if it would work or not though)

Oh No!!! a monster fluffy chicken!!!

IDK sounds worth a try, even if just to see what they would look like

According to Henderson's chicken chart, Langshans and White-Faced Black Spanish have gray skin skin. Maybe crossing a Silkie to a Langshan, and then taking the offspring to a meat bird would produce some good dark skin meat birds. I wonder if black skin is dominant?

No, but I have seen them in store freezers, it just look like a small chicken. I have a couple of silkie cross and they do have dark skin.

A wiki example:

Silkies_butchered.jpg

Commonly used in Asian medicine.

If you're going to try and target the Asian community with a black skin "meat" chicken, it will be tough. A true to type smaller silkie with 5 toes and dark bones is ideal for that market, and won't fit the American standard of "meat bird". Anything that looks different, even by not having white feathers, can make them less desirable, as per the large Asian community that I am a part of. It baffled my mom and all her sisters that I had black and buff silkies... they exist in white in their minds.

If you're looking for just a dark meat bird yourself, then disregard.

Back
Top Bottom