(INFO NEEDED) dark skinned meat birds (INFO NEEDED)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by dadsdeercamp, Oct 19, 2010.

1. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    my son is looking for some dark skinned meat chickens what are the best birds to use is there a hybrid. info needed.!!!

2. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Silkie was the first thing to come to mind...

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    silkie is the only thing that comes to my mind . . . there are those really super rare all dark skinned birds . . . I think they are mediterainan but I don't even know their name and have never seen one in person.

4. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    Quote:I think you are referring to Cemani's

5. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Quote:I think you might be thinking of ayam cemani, or swedish black hens. Those are (like you said) really hard to get ahold of. You might be able to get a dark skinned meat bird by crossing a silkie rooster to a cornish cross hen (Im not sure if it would work or not though)

6. vatterpa

vatterpa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Indiana, PA
    Quote:I think you might be thinking of ayam cemani, or swedish black hens. Those are (like you said) really hard to get ahold of. You might be able to get a dark skinned meat bird by crossing a silkie rooster to a cornish cross hen (Im not sure if it would work or not though)

Oh No!!! a monster fluffy chicken!!!

IDK sounds worth a try, even if just to see what they would look like

7. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    According to Henderson's chicken chart, Langshans and White-Faced Black Spanish have gray skin skin. Maybe crossing a Silkie to a Langshan, and then taking the offspring to a meat bird would produce some good dark skin meat birds. I wonder if black skin is dominant?

8. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Anybody ever actually take a pic of a butchered Silkie?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  9. LALASD4

LALASD4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    No, but I have seen them in store freezers, it just look like a small chicken. I have a couple of silkie cross and they do have dark skin.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

A wiki example:

[​IMG]

Commonly used in Asian medicine.

If you're going to try and target the Asian community with a black skin "meat" chicken, it will be tough. A true to type smaller silkie with 5 toes and dark bones is ideal for that market, and won't fit the American standard of "meat bird". Anything that looks different, even by not having white feathers, can make them less desirable, as per the large Asian community that I am a part of. It baffled my mom and all her sisters that I had black and buff silkies... they exist in white in their minds.

If you're looking for just a dark meat bird yourself, then disregard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by