Info needed

Madcap621

Songster
10 Years
Oct 30, 2009
Middle Tennessee
Wellll....the good news is that I have 3 pullets, 2 OEGBs and a black Cochin. Corresponding BAD news is that I also have 3 roos to re-home.
he.gif

My ultimate goal is to have a small [6-8] BY flock of colorful bantam LAYERS [takes a lot of tiny eggs to make a dozen Grade AA XLs
lol.png

I would like another Cochin [for a real live brooder], a RIR [sadly, mine was a roo], and am really interested in the white faced black Spanish, BUT am finding mixed reviews on temperament, from "sweet, docile, bears confinement well" to "wild, flighty,mean, does not bear confinement". Does anyone have experience with this breed? How do they fair in a mixed and confined flock? And how much cold can they tolerate? I live in middle TN and we usually have fairly mild winters with maybe 32 or 3 snows that last a day, and temps in the low 30s BUT have also had ice storms, snow for a month and temps in the teens.

Would also love recommendations on breeds. Must be banties. Which are the best layers, but are still cute/pretty/lovable? Which are the best moms?

Looking forward to your replies!
fl.gif

I have White Plymouth Rock bantams, They fit your bill
The roo is quiet, and sweet,
The hens Sweet and adorable, And good moms
39309_dscn1127.jpg

39309_dscn1155.jpg

Their lay rate is Extremley good. I got an egg today...
smile.png

39309_dscn2075.jpg

I don't reccomend any Mediterranean breeds. Never had them - but from how I've seen them act, I dont want them ANYWERE near my backyard flock. Flighty, aggressive, noisy - those all usually describe the med. breeds.

Im not much on my cochin girl. She doesnt lay at all, and isn't loving/sweet - just shy. VERY shy. To the point of being afraid of everything. Although, she did go broody before she even started laying - so if you're wanting a brooder, I do reccomend them.

You are wanting some good birds like Rocks, REAL Ameraucanas, Australorps, Faverolles, and sussex - breeds like that. You will ADORE the faverolles especially! They are amazingly sweet birds that gorgeous, and good layers. Same thing for the sussex. My ameraucanas have been great as well as the australorps, but I honestly dont like rocks all that much. Don't get me wrong - they are good birds - but they just dont have much in the way of a personality (or mine never did).

If you're wanting some more variety, there are other breeds like welsummers (not especially docile, but NOT flighty), orpingtons, marans (LOVE 'em! Great personality. Just be sure to get a good line!), Langshan (gorgeous birds, decent layers. Not very much personality), Dorking, Brahma, and Barnevelder. These lay less prolifically, but lay good and have nice temperment.

I DO NOT reccomend getting RIR's, especially if you get some real docile birds. I don't like the breed at all, personally. They can be sweet with humans, but every RIR I've had has been VERY bird aggressive - and the two I had would attack (and if possible, kill) every bird they come across. They were ALWAYS displaying their dominance, and the other birds never had a break. I will never have one again. I've heard that the Newhampshire reds are great - if you get them from a good line. I don't like the wyandotes I had either, but I've heard that there are some good lines.

I have white faced black spanish that are now 9 weeks old. They are lovely natured so far. The breeder I bought them from let me walk into the part where the parents were free roaming and they weren't the slighest bit agressive or flighty. As for cold I am not sure but they tolerate my hot summers in australia, it was 45.5c here yesterday well. We get quite cold in winter but it doesn't snow here.

Back
Top Bottom