Info on laying please

update! update! Flo, my lil' Buff has finally layed her first eggs in this cold weather. I figured she would wait until Spring when it warmed up. I went out this morning to get my one egg as usual and there was three eggs in the one nest. So I figure she layed one later yesterday and then earlier today. Boy was I confused for a minute. I had
one large egg and two smaller ones next to it. Maybe they got inthe nest together to keep warm and she figured out what she was supposed to do in there by watching the ther girl? Hahaha! W have had cold snowy weather here for weeks and haven't missed an egg yet. My brother from CA came to visit and he was shocked I was still getting eggs. Is this so unusual? He usually has chickens. He's not a city boy, but doesn't live in cold country. He asked if I was using a UV light. I am not using anything. Anybody else got feedback on this?

I don't think one hen would lay one late yesterday and early today - thats too close together...
Might you have 3 girls laying
big_smile.png
(do you have 3 or more hens?)

My 8 girls are almost 23 weeks, and I'm getting eggs, but I'm not sure from WHO
gig.gif

I know the white eggs come from my Ideal 236 girls, but I got a purplish color egg on the weekend, and then a HUGE brown one this AM.... I'm HOPING one of my EE's will lay me a nice blue or green one next....

Last edited:
Quote:
My 10 hens have been laying about 4-5 eggs a day and it's been very cold and they were moved recently. I have lights set on a timer for 3:30 in the morning since the sun goes down a little after 5pm. This gives them more light to lay. I'm guessing that you get about the same amount of light as we do where you are in Oregon and we are in Idaho. Congrats on getting your eggs!

Quote:
well, fwiw it's not impossible, I've had it happen, NO possibility of it having been anything else. <shrug>

Pat

Send that hen MY way !
gig.gif

I am thinking my girls are laying one egg or so every TWO days..... But I don't have extra light on them and that would explain it....

Back
Top Bottom