Info on that BIG chicken rescue???

I understand both points of view. I just think it was misleading when it was presented that they needed to find homes as quickly as possible for these chickens and people either made coops or purchased them for the arrival which we were led to think was going to be in a few weeks...that was a few weeks ago and now we are told they wont be released till MAY! So I started to think that the "moving them out and get ready for a new flock o'layers" was what the intention was from the beginning! However, it was presented as an emergency "homes needed" issue! Very wrong for them to do. One of my friends said that they were probaly in quarrantine, however, why would they be for that long a period???

Quote:
But even if they are being raised in less than humane standards are you really rescuing them by taking them in at the end of their production period? You are only rescuing them from slaughter and then putting them to use for your own purposes, albeit it in better conditions. Whether you get them free or pay a small price, the producer needs to get rid of hens at the end of the production cycle to stay profitable. By taking in hens from substandard operations you are only helping the producer move out his old flock so he can move in a new one and start the cycle again.

Can a person really make it up to a bird for another's mistreatment? "Sorry about that ol' gal. Here's a nice coop and some straw for you. Now how about laying a few more eggs for me?"

Mac, if you have followed my posts then you know I have my birds as pets and seeing as how most health issues assoc with them are going to be egglaying associated, if it were up to me I would have all of them "fixed" (unfortunately the risk assoc with doing that procedure (surgical) is too great or I would)
Most who have as pets are truly not interested in the eggs (personally I do not eat my birds eggs)Of course there are those who fall in between the two extremes, but I doubt that those wanting to "rescue" them are really interested in having them for the eggs.

> A commercial flock raised within the regulations of the law (and tho are some who would argue that law not being to "humane" standards however I am NOT referring to that in any way shape or form in this post)
> I was agreeing with J (OEGBman) >My comment was geared towards the (often incorrect) use of the word "rescue" in that it implies (extreme) abuse i.e. insufficient food and water etc.

Last edited:
Quote:
But even if they are being raised in less than humane standards are you really rescuing them by taking them in at the end of their production period? You are only rescuing them from slaughter and then putting them to use for your own purposes, albeit it in better conditions. Whether you get them free or pay a small price, the producer needs to get rid of hens at the end of the production cycle to stay profitable. By taking in hens from substandard operations you are only helping the producer move out his old flock so he can move in a new one and start the cycle again.

Can a person really make it up to a bird for another's mistreatment? "Sorry about that ol' gal. Here's a nice coop and some straw for you. Now how about laying a few more eggs for me?"

Mac, if you have followed my posts then you know I have my birds as pets and seeing as how most health issues assoc with them are going to be egglaying associated, if it were up to me I would have all of them "fixed" (unfortunately the risk assoc with doing that procedure (surgical) is too great or I would)
Most who have as pets are truly not interested in the eggs (personally I do not eat my birds eggs)Of course there are those who fall in between the two extremes, but I doubt that those wanting to "rescue" them are really interested in having them for the eggs.

> A commercial flock raised within the regulations of the law (and tho are some who would argue that law not being to "humane" standards however I am NOT referring to that in any way shape or form in this post)
> I was agreeing with J (OEGBman) >My comment was geared towards the (often incorrect) use of the word "rescue" in that it implies (extreme) abuse i.e. insufficient food and water etc.

Hi DL, I understand what you mean about the word "rescue" and how people could inter[pret it to be that the animals are in an abusive situation. I was just offering a retirement situation for theses birds as I also do not eat the eggs from my birds. i cannot even bring myself to cook them to feed back to them for a treat! I use store bought eggs for that! LOL But I think it was presented in a "do or die" format that they needed these home IMMEDIATELY , made prepearations, and now are being told, MAY is when they are supposed to arrive. I just wish they could be honest and tell us why May is the date. I am leaning towards the "done with production" answer and if thtat is the case we should have been told so that we didn't break our butts preparing in the cold weather for something we could have done in the spring. And if it is a quarantine issue, they should be telling because we have other birds and maybe we would have to pre-treat (?) them for anything contagious???

Probably miscommunication on both sides... at least the (current) owner and the rescue org has some idea now that there are enough interested parties (to rehome) to convince the owner not to pile them all in a processing truck and to that end I assume it was worth the effort made?

Wow, 5-year-old zombie thread.
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom