Info Requested on Incubating Button Quail Eggs

Gezellige_Poes

Songster
Jan 31, 2022
Madison, AL
I've searched quite a bit on incubating button quail eggs here and on Google, and have found very little info, and much of that info is conflicting, or results presume Coturnix quail. If you have experience incubating button quail eggs or have good knowledge, please provide answers to the following:

1. Number of days for incubation (Set currently for 18...)
2. Number of days to lockdown (I have planned to stop turning at day 14...)
3. If using the Manna Pro incubator, which I have (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0793HHZ1L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1, Manna Pro Harris Farms Nurture Right Incubator), do you put the shelf liner in right away? I added it at the start of incubation because I don't want to traumatize the eggs having to move them all out (20), disturbing temp/humidity to put in the liner...)
4. Temp during incubation (Set currently to 99.5... Read that the Manna Pro is circulated/forced air, so temp is at 99.5F (recommended), as opposed to 100F...)
5. Humidity range during incubation (Set currently at 45%...)
6. Temp during lockdown
7. Humidity range during lockdown
8. How to best arrange eggs in turner meant for chickens (I used toothpics to create a narrower opening and put two eggs per section along the outer edge of the turner...)

Last edited:
I've searched quite a bit on incubating button quail eggs here and on Google, and have found very little info, and much of that info is conflicting, or results presume Coturnix quail. If you have experience incubating button quail eggs or have good knowledge, please provide answers to the following:

1. Number of days for incubation (Set currently for 18...)
2. Number of days to lockdown (I have planned to stop turning at day 14...)
13 as chicks may start hatching on day 15.
3. If using the Manna Pro incubator, which I have (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0793HHZ1L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1, Manna Pro Harris Farms Nurture Right Incubator), do you put the shelf liner in right away?
Yes, if it does not impede air flow. For whatever reason I can't bring up the, above, site.
I added it at the start of incubation because I don't want to traumatize the eggs having to move them all out (20), disturbing temp/humidity to put in the liner...)
4. Temp during incubation (Set currently to 99.5... Read that the Manna Pro is circulated/forced air, so temp is at 99.5F (recommended), as opposed to 100F...)
Use the recommended temperature. At 38C mine seemed to have hatched early on day 15.
5. Humidity range during incubation (Set currently at 45%...)

Humidity is the most important at hatch time. At hatch time, a few days before hatch, try to raise the humidity to 65%.
6. Temp during lockdown
I do not change the temperatures at hatch.
7. Humidity range during lockdown
8. How to best arrange eggs in turner meant for chickens (I used toothpics to create a narrower opening and put two eggs per section along the outer edge of the turner...)
If the incubator uses a roller system, Monique, the eggs may not turn because of their light weight. Mark a few eggs so you can check to be sure the eggs are turning. I stopped using the roller turner in mine as when eggs were light or heavy, they were not being turned adequately. I now turn the eggs three times a day manually.

If we were closer I'd offer to hatch quail for you. What color was the hen that died? Was she different from the hen you have now? I wonder if one of my hens from you are the same color? Do you have a picture of her?

13 as chicks may start hatching on day 15.

Yes, if it does not impede air flow. For whatever reason I can't bring up the, above, site.

Use the recommended temperature. At 38C mine seemed to have hatched early on day 15.

Humidity is the most important at hatch time. At hatch time, a few days before hatch, try to raise the humidity to 65%.

I do not change the temperatures at hatch.

If the incubator uses a roller system, Monique, the eggs may not turn because of their light weight. Mark a few eggs so you can check to be sure the eggs are turning. I stopped using the roller turner in mine as when eggs were light or heavy, they were not being turned adequately. I now turn the eggs three times a day manually.

If we were closer I'd offer to hatch quail for you. What color was the hen that died? Was she different from the hen you have now? I wonder if one of my hens from you are the same color? Do you have a picture of her?
Hi Dan,

So nice of you to pop in here to help and certainly will help others given your vast experience and knowledge! The link is the same as I emailed you, showing the incubator on Amazon, https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0793HHZ1L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I increased the temp and will adjust the days. I marked the eggs; they appear to be turning well, as I find them in different positions after each turn. Lexi died on June 9, I started the incubator that afternoon and let it run until the next afternoon as a test period, so the eggs have been incubating since June 10. Here is a pic of Lexie, she's sitting in the food bowl. Do you think the hens not laying any eggs that week is odd? I cleaned the habitat Sunday, 5 June, Lexie died 9 June, and cleaned again 12 June. Not one egg that time period before or after she passed. Do you think it has to do with the Amprolium treatment, which I wrote you has since ended...

20220412_125115.jpg

Last edited:
Also, thank you for offering to incubate. If worse comes to worse, I will make the trek to your house. It may work out down the road anyway, when Darcy, my very, very senior Coturnix male, goes to heaven, and the younger male is let back in to the flock. I'd prefer to transport eggs, as opposed to mailing them. If nothing else, the silver lining of this horrible accident forced me to try incubating again. I definitely want to get away from adopting live birds unless they are from you.

20220614_131743.jpg

20220614_131731.jpg

20220614_131712.jpg

Here is the current set-up. The incubator turned, and most of the eggs rolled well, a few with the marker line to the side as opposed to on top where I had marked them. I will start turning manually. The toothpicks are working rather well, surprisingly enough. Each separator is made of 1 1/2 toothpics taped together to fit. I suppose if I'm going to turn manually, I can remove the toothpicks and spread the eggs out each to a compartment? I hope I haven't messed things up, as it's day 5 into incubation!!

Hi Dan,

So nice of you to pop in here to help and certainly will help others given your vast experience and knowledge! The link is the same as I emailed you, showing the incubator on Amazon, https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0793HHZ1L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I increased the temp and will adjust the days. I marked the eggs; they appear to be turning well, as I find them in different positions after each turn. Lexi died on June 9, I started the incubator that afternoon and let it run until the next afternoon, so the eggs have been incubating since June 10. Here is a pic of Lexie, she's sitting in the food bowl. Do you think the hens not laying any eggs that week is odd? I cleaned the habitat Sunday, 5 June, Lexie died 9 June, and cleaned again 12 June. Not one egg that time period before or after she passed. Do you think it has to do with the Amprolium treatment, which I wrote you has since ended...
Birds take breaks from laying eggs; meds may play a part in no eggs. I wouldn't worry about it; they'll likely start laying again soon. Most of my serama have not laid in weeks. A good thing as I do not want them to just lay more and more eggs producing more chicks than I want.

View attachment 3148283
View attachment 3148285
View attachment 3148287

Here is the current set-up. The incubator turned, and most of the eggs rolled well, a few with the marker line to the side as opposed to on top where I had marked them. I will start turning manually. The toothpicks are working rather well, surprisingly enough. Each separator is made of 1 1/2 toothpics taped together to fit. I suppose if I'm going to turn manually, I can remove the toothpicks and spread the eggs out each to a compartment? I hope I haven't messed things up, as it's day 5 into incubation!!
You've done nothing that would mess things up as you say. Since your turner is working correctly, there's no reason to go to manual turning; one less chore to remember.

Back
Top Bottom