Information needed!!!!

TheBlock

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2020
Kent Island Maryland
Hi all. It’s the Block back again. Please don’t mind my grade school writing habits or lack of punctuation. My wife will read this later smack her self on the head and yell at me for it. Now on to business.... I have a issue, I have a tendency to over do things a bit when I do them. So chicken math works well for me. I am searching for a few books or general websites I can go to for a how to on most all about chickens. What are the go to sources you all use besides this site. Flat out, I hate not having the knowledge need for the care my chickens deserve. Thanks and sorry for running on with this.

Honestly I have to say after signing up for a "Intro to chicken keeping" class and reading various resources online (in lieu of books), I've found this site to be the most useful for raising chickens, mainly because you can ask specific questions as the need arises, and the fact that everyone here has a slightly different way of doing things, so you can get a good variety of responses to help you tailor what you're doing with your own set up and flock.

I recently bought Ann Kuo's book The Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens and I've found it to be really thorough. I have a stack of chicken books and have read many online articles and posts, but her book is the best all around guide I've found.
That one is good. But, imo, this site beats it. Hands down. Nowhere else can you get help specific to your situation... except maybe the vet, but that'll cost you an arm and a leg IF you can even find a vet that'll treat chickens.

Hi all. It’s the Block back again. Please don’t mind my grade school writing habits or lack of punctuation. My wife will read this later smack her self on the head and yell at me for it. Now on to business.... I have a issue, I have a tendency to over do things a bit when I do them. So chicken math works well for me. I am searching for a few books or general websites I can go to for a how to on most all about chickens. What are the go to sources you all use besides this site. Flat out, I hate not having the knowledge need for the care my chickens deserve. Thanks and sorry for running on with this.
The A-Z of all things chicken its a great book

I am searching for a few books or general websites I can go to for a how to on most all about chickens.
You won't find it all in one or even a few places.

As much as I love books, I read constantly, I would not bother to buy any chicken books.
Well, I own two... Ussery and Damerow both good reads but do contain some 'not so great' and/or outdated info. I have not cracked them but a few times since the initial reading.
Try your library, we have state wide borrowing here and can get about any title.
Better to read a borrowed copy before buying, IMO.
I read a couple dozen and very few were worth reading, let alone owning.

I spent the winter before building coop reading this and other chicken forums...
....but bring your grains of salt.
I learned more here too, by readingreadingreading for hoursandhoursandhours.
I took notes and saved links in a word doc(you can search it) and a spreadsheet with headers like coops, roosts, nests, dosages, predators, etcetcetc.
But I am old school, laptop with 'real' programs installed for these tasks.

Honestly I have to say after signing up for a "Intro to chicken keeping" class and reading various resources online (in lieu of books), I've found this site to be the most useful for raising chickens, mainly because you can ask specific questions as the need arises, and the fact that everyone here has a slightly different way of doing things, so you can get a good variety of responses to help you tailor what you're doing with your own set up and flock.
Ditto Dat!!!

Basically: more space is better. Commercial feed is good, once I asked a prize winning breeder and that is what he used. Clean water, and good bedding.

No matter how perfectly you keep chickens, there are going to be some losses. Accept that, adjust and move on.

Good luck,

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom