Information requested on the habits of a broody muscovy

cukooformarans

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2011
Alabama
We have a broody muscovy hen which has been on her nest of 11 ordered eggs for about 2 weeks. (Our drake was killed, so we had to order fertile eggs.) Anyhow, I discovered a ginormous (53" is monstrous to me) chicken snake in the coop today. (Explains the sudden drop in the number of chicken eggs I've been getting, he was living the good life 3' or less from where they lay when I found him.) I'm wondering if he also stole the duck eggs but don't know if I should check. She comes off a couple of hours every second day or so, but she always covers the eggs with shavings and down while she's off. Would it be safe to uncover them when she comes off to see if any are broken/missing? Or is she likely to come off of the nest if we disturb it? Or should I pull her off and check tonight?
fl.gif
Hoping everything is ok! Please someone who is familiar with muscovies give me some advice!!

I have my third broody Muscovy at the moment...I have checked her nest and the nest of the other two when they are off for a drink and a quick bath...they have not seemed to mind and have gone right back to sitting...
this is the current nest that I took a photo of yesterday when she was out having a dip in her pool

34215_dscn3666.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! That's a lot of eggs!! Wonderful! Well for an update on ours, she came off this morning and I checked the nest. Two eggs missing, nine left. I'm glad we found that bad snake when we did before there were no eggs left!!!

Back
Top Bottom