Informative Post Hunt!

Pics
I'll start:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/large-roundworm-from-egg-to-worm.1432138/post-23629097

This is a super good question. Roundworms in chickens spend their whole lives inside the gut, so when you give a dewormer, all stages present are exposed to the drug, and are susceptible to it. This is not true for many other worm species, but it is for these guys. They do, however, sometimes bury themselves in the intestinal lining, so when the adults are purged, they come out, thinking the coast is clear.
As for eggs in the environment, it takes a couple of weeks for them to develop to the infective stage. A fresh worm egg won't infect a bird, it has to go through a couple of moults before it can become infective.

Do you guys (so far) know how to copy a post?
If so can you copy the one you think is informative and include it in your post?

Go to your i post, click to reply to it, highlight everything in the reply box, copy it then cone bavk here and paste it in your post.

For future posters: It's easier to quote your informative post and 'insert quotes' it here when you make your 1st post here.

Ok. I have seen too many posts with people saying "Here's my pure Americana (note the spelling) what color is it?" The pic is always of a beautiful EE.

So here goes: THESE TRAITS are what determine whether yours is the rare pure Ameraucana...or the very common EE!
(EEs are mixes that lay Blue/green and often resemble the pure breed Ameraucana, and are sold as such A LOT.)

THESE ARE VERY IMPORTANT!

#1: Colorations
Here I will show some pics of EE colors vs Ameraucana colors.
Ameraucanas come in solid colors; black, blue, silver, wheaten, and a few more. Don't be fooled by your brain going "hey, mine looks wheaten!"
Here's an EE pattern similar to wheaten vs the real color:
EE:
View attachment 2367240
Ameraucana:
View attachment 2367241
See the difference?
Here are some common EE colors. THESE ARE NOT COLORS YOU FIND IN AMERAUCANAS!

View attachment 2367243View attachment 2367851View attachment 2367853

View attachment 2367242
View attachment 2367244View attachment 2367245
NEXT: LEGS.
I'll give it to you straight: Ameraucanas never have green legs. Or yellow. Or whatever. They only have slate, with pink skin underneath. So if your "ameraucana" has purdy lil' green feet, rethink what you're calling her.

NEXT: COMB. Ameraucanas always have pea combs. None of those weird lopsided modified peas, or a single, or anything. Only a normal pea comb.
Modified pea:View attachment 2367246
NEXT: Eggs.
Ameraucanas lay blue. EEs lay blue/aqua/green/sometimes pink.
If you're getting brown green or aqua, you've got yourself an EE.
Blue, likely still an EE.

NEXT: Source. Did you buy from a feed store or hacthery? Was it under 20$ per chick? If so, EE.

Hope this helps, y'all. My two EEs are some of the best things that ever happened to me, and I hope it's the same for you.
If you read through this and still aren't sure, I can tell you if you post a pic.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom