1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ingredients for 'Dust Bath'

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Madcap621, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Madcap621

Madcap621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    2 questions, actually.

1] Is DE and builders sand an OK mix for a dust bath bowl?

2] I put it in a terracotta planter-pot dish -- about 2" deep. Do I need a deeper bowl? The babies are 5 weeks old and are starting to want to dust bathe. 5 are banties [1 a Cochin, 3 OEGs and the 5th ???? - beautiful red color, half the size of the Polish, twice the size of the OEGs ??????????????, one a Polish.

Madcap621

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like a great idea!

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Sounds great on both counts!! Mine are 9 weeks now and I STILL use a planter base, just a much larger one! [​IMG] I use playsand and DE...same concept!

4. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    my chickens make their dust bath where ever they happen to be...
    but then again, my entire yard is dirt... i have no clue what all this pretty green stuff you guys keep in your yard is.. but it is not cundusive to dust baths.. what are you thinking.. lol...

2" seems shallow to me, but like i said, mine make their own.. lol... so i have no idea.....

5. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Quote:[​IMG] Yep. We made our ladies a fancy dust bath... and they NEVER use it. They made their own. I think they did it just to irritate us. [​IMG]

6. hermiesbirdies

hermiesbirdies Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2009
    Ok, kinda new here. everyone is saying DE is that Diatomatious Earth?

7. dianer29

dianer29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    My 14 week old SILKIE characters do not dust bathe. I have a small litter pan with De and dry store bought builders sand.Ther perch on the end of it to nap and sleep they pick thru like on a Treasure hunt BUT they do not bathe in it.......go figure....................!

8. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:Yes, DE is short for Diatomaceous Earth. Quite a mouthful so everyone abbreviates it!

9. Madcap621

Madcap621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    UPDATE: They scooted all the 'dust mix' out into their bedding and lay in the bare dish! [​IMG] Back to the drawing board!

Madcap621

10. wm8c

wm8c Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2009
    Middleville
    I'm thoroughly convinced now that chickens are worse than dogs when it comes to digging and dust baths. They dig holes faster than the dog ever did and as fast as I fill them in so we don't trip in the chicken yard, they dig em' back out! I have an area of my chicken yard that is mostly sand but they seem to prefer digging where the more graveled area is. I've decided they do what they want and you can't really stop them lol! I did manage with about 3 weeks of persistence get them to all stop sleeping in the nest boxes earlier this year but gave up on the digging issue.

I keep DE in their nest box straw and add it to their food which insures they are getting exposed to that for other reasons with regard to pest control and I also use the deep litter method in the coop so there is plenty of DE in the bedding in there too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by