Ingredients for fun

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Clay In Iowa, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    10 two day old chicks
    50 wax worms
    25 Med/Small crickets
    One for year old.

Because my 4 year old was dieing to feed the new chicks. I decided to introduce the new fuzzy butts to real food. So for about $7 I got some wax worms and crickets. It took the little guys about 10 seconds to figure things out. Then it was a free for all and a game of snag the bug form the fingers and then play keep away till it could be eaten. It's amazing how tough a cricket can be with two chicks playing tug of war with it.

In the end everyone had a good time. The chicks got a great meal and my 4 year old had a blast feeding the chicks and watching the mayhem that followed each offering.

Only one problem. I think dad going to go broke buying crickets and wax worms now. LOL

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    They go crazy over the little treats, don't they? We need pics! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    Quote:Here's the first 7 out. The Yellow one, the Wheaten one, and one of the black ones is are Amaraucnanas... The others are BCMS

[​IMG]

My 4 year old son is in love with them. He's amazingly gentle with the little guys.
    [​IMG]

4. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    My 42 yr old husband was buying mealworms by the 200 count last time we had fuzzies. When they got big enough for crickets he was raiding our lizards cricket keep to the point I had to double our order with the pet store.

We're getting 25 more in March.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by