Ingrown Feather "Bursting" Question

You don't see any lice or mites on her?

Could be she's just stressed or hormones. I'd think about giving her extra protein a few times a week - a little treat of egg, fish (sardines/mackerel/tuna) or meat. And I'd also try a little vitamin therapy for a several weeks to see if it helps. Give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. See if the b vitamins make any difference at all.

I have checked recently, but my hens free range, and the wild quail have been rather active, so I don't think I can ever check *too* much for mites/lice. I'll give her and the others another examination to be on the safe side. Might give them a light powdering of poultry mite dust anyway, to be extra-sure.

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll get some extra protein for her, and try out the B-complex daily vitamins. I have some water-soluble vitamin powder for poultry that I can get into their morning water, too, for when I let them out of their coop. Durvet is the brand, if you think that could help?

I have checked recently, but my hens free range, and the wild quail have been rather active, so I don't think I can ever check *too* much for mites/lice. I'll give her and the others another examination to be on the safe side. Might give them a light powdering of poultry mite dust anyway, to be extra-sure.

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll get some extra protein for her, and try out the B-complex daily vitamins. I have some water-soluble vitamin powder for poultry that I can get into their morning water, too, for when I let them out of their coop. Durvet is the brand, if you think that could help?
I like Durvet. Look to see if what you have contains B1(Thiamine), B2(Riboflavin), Folic Acid and Zinc. It probably does.

I didn't really see "evidence" of lice/mites in your photos, but since she's picking at herself a lot, it would be good to rule them out just in case.

Where do you live that you have wild Quail! I haven't seen any here in years and years, nice to know there's some still around somewhere.

I live in northern Utah! My neighborhood is a delightfully odd-ball setup with acre+ lots amidst denser housing, and the quail seem to love it here.

They are constantly crossing the street and pastures, bobbing their cute little heads, and calling out to mates/chicks.

Update: Sylph (the hen) is slowly stopping being broody (she...takes her time lol), and the plucking has also seemed to stop these past couple days.

When my husband and I checked on her ingrown feather, the scab that had already formed was easily "scraped" away (very gentle pressure with our fingernails) and the feather removed with tweezers. It had formed a kind of cyst underneath, which was a surprise to me. I had expected it to be like an ingrown leg hair just under the surface of the skin--still attached by now free. But the entire tiny feather came out with the small cyst-esque mass.

I will continue to apply Vetericyn twice daily (morning and night), as well as give her vitamin-water (she apparently loves drinking it straight from a jug's lid lol) for at least a few weeks. Thank you so much for all the support and help!

Back
Top Bottom