Flystrike? Ingrown feather?

Peanutj71

Hatching
Jul 15, 2023
Hello! I was recently given 2 chickens by someone I thought took excellent care of them. I was shocked to find they both have lice and bumblefoot, and while bathing them I saw two spots like this on one of them. I initially thought they might be ingrown feathers, since she was undoubtly pulling them out due to the discomfort with the lice, but someone on Facebook mentioned possibly flystrike. Any thoughts/suggestions are most appreciated!

Attachments

• Hazel2.jpg
    Hazel2.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Hazel1.jpg
    Hazel1.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 21
The one sore looks like a peck wound. A dab of Betadine or triple antibiotic on it would do. If you see lice, which are fast moving, there are usually white to gray clumps of eggs at the base of the feathers. Do you see those? For lice or mites, permethrin can be used to dust or spray on the area once, and again in 10 days. Elector PSP is another treatment for lice, mites, but expensive.
www fah p lice 1.jpg

The one sore looks like a peck wound. A dab of Betadine or triple antibiotic on it would do. If you see lice, which are fast moving, there are usually white to gray clumps of eggs at the base of the feathers. Do you see those? For lice or mites, permethrin can be used to dust or spray on the area once, and again in 10 days. Elector PSP is another treatment for lice, mites, but expensive.
www fah p lice 1.jpg
Yes, she definitely has lice. I have some Elector PSP on order but bathed them all in the meantime :( But the purple spots on this one's bum look very sore. Someone said it looked like flystrike

Back
Top Bottom