Ingrown feather(?) and issues with dead tissue

RoostersAreAwesome

Enabler
6 Years
May 21, 2017
About a month ago I rescued a pigeon with several wounds. Most of them healed well, but now it looks like he has an ingrown feather? What should I do about this?
E8C20F85-400F-4765-A19D-2F58D7462798.jpeg
C13AB6DC-3C5A-45FE-99C5-96A79FD9255C.jpeg
There used to be a shallow wound in the same area.

Also, one of the pigeon’s wounds is still open and healing, it’s a small but deep wound on his chest that keeps filling with dead tissue (which I remove with tweezers). Is there anyway to speed up the healing process other than daily debridement? I actually stopped the daily debridement recently (I thought I might impede healing), but the wound seems to have gotten bigger since then, so should I go back to it?

Before I stopped the daily debridements:
0F323BE2-0ABB-4D13-BCA8-AAF4B260830F.jpeg

After (picture from a few days ago):
A2E3FF68-376E-489D-8E5B-BB5565B99668.jpeg

I'd continue with the daily debridement since that what seemed to work best.

I'm not seeing the ingrown feather, can you circle it?
Generally, for an feather under the skin, you'll want to swab the area with an antiseptic (Chlorhexidine would be good), then use a sterile needle and begin to gently tease the feather out from underneath the skin like you would a splinter. You may need some tweezers as well.

I'd continue with the daily debridement since that what seemed to work best.

I'm not seeing the ingrown feather, can you circle it?
Generally, for an feather under the skin, you'll want to swab the area with an antiseptic (Chlorhexidine would be good), then use a sterile needle and begin to gently tease the feather out from underneath the skin like you would a splinter. You may need some tweezers as well.
I don’t actually know whether it’s an ingrown feather, I’m referring to the white thing under(?) the skin in the first picture (it wasn’t there before, so I don’t think it’s scarring). The skin around it is also blue, maybe because of bruising?

Update

Chest wound (dead tissue)
CE6258F0-C064-4E40-8134-E98B84697034.jpeg
The black is a scab, not necrotic tissue. The wound has been bleeding a lot more when I try to debride it (which makes me stop early), not sure if that’s a good sign? There does seem to be less dead tissue but the outside wound looks a bit worse (a bit more swollen/inflamed)?

E0A0E353-684A-403A-A754-CBCCDB3C6273.jpeg
Then there’s this, it doesn’t feel like a bubble but I can feel the bump under the skin. As you can see, there are pin feathers growing in the area.

428E0345-912A-485B-9EB0-9520EC2FC3B9.jpeg
There seems to be a lot more healthy tissue in the wound, which is why I’m thinking it bleeds more. I haven’t been doing much debriding and it doesn’t seem to be getting worse. Also, for anyone curious, this pigeon survived getting attacked by a predator in the wild and suffering a huge crop tear, which actually healed really quick.

View attachment 3504520There seems to be a lot more healthy tissue in the wound, which is why I’m thinking it bleeds more. I haven’t been doing much debriding and it doesn’t seem to be getting worse. Also, for anyone curious, this pigeon survived getting attacked by a predator in the wild and suffering a huge crop tear, which actually healed really quick.
I think it's looking better.

Back
Top Bottom