Inherited Flock

Sportsman94

Chirping
Mar 24, 2021
Central Georgia
So I inherited a flock of chickens today. 13 hens and a rooster if I counted correctly. They are currently the only chickens I have and was just curious if you do anything special when getting chickens from someone else. They have been fed medicated chick feed. Some are laying, and others are almost laying age. I have these locked in a 12x8 coop/shed and plan to do that for a week or two while I work on the run just to let them know where they are supposed to roost. Anything in particular I need to look out for or pay attention to with an inherited flock? Thanks!

Welcome to BYC. Sounds like you're off to a good start, doing exactly what you should be with confining them to their coop.

With the caveat that the coop needs to be very well ventilated if it's hot where you are right now (you can add your general location to your profile so that we can give better advice on topics where climate matters).

12x8 is a generous coop size for 13 chickens, which is another good start there since lack of space can be a major issue for health and behavior and problems.

Here's a great Chickens 101 article for you: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-raise-chickens.47660/

Thanks so much! I have cut out roughly 16”x8” rectangles under the overhang and covered with hardware cloth. I probably have 10-12 of these vent holes currently, plus a pop door currently covered with hardware cloth for 24/7 breath ability. I am in central Georgia so heat is an issue. The coop is, however, in a place where they should be shaded 95% of the day which will hopefully help as I continue to make modifications. When the secure run is completed the pop door will stay open all the time as well. If these birds have been on medicated feed there whole lives, would coccidiosis and worme be something I need to look out for?

63A0B69E-BB56-49EC-A4A1-0B9B13EB34EB.jpeg
9B86BBBF-5216-494A-9A45-8ED53D42E339.jpeg
ACF4E423-A165-44CA-B49B-7F5A5239D258.jpeg

12 of those vents would be just about exactly 10 square feet of ventilation, so you're getting close to the 1 square foot per bird. :) Shade is great!

If it's still warmer inside than out you will need more vents, but you're doing wonderfully for your first flock with space and air.

How old are these chickens?

Medicated feed is usually only given to young chicks and only affects coccidiosis. Worms are unlikely to be a problem and have to be diagnosed by a fecal float.

My chicks transitioned off medicated feed at about 8 weeks -- I just fed them that until the bag ran out and then switched to All-Flock with oystershell on the side for the adult layers.

I did have two escapes trying to get the flock into the new coop. I was told these are copper marans. Is that what they look like to you?

Attachments

• F08A0FD0-1889-4AB5-B174-BDDEF1BDD97E.jpeg
    F08A0FD0-1889-4AB5-B174-BDDEF1BDD97E.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 8
  • A1FDF09B-D37C-4D35-A71E-4F5056B322BA.jpeg
    A1FDF09B-D37C-4D35-A71E-4F5056B322BA.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom