Inherited Flock

Your roosts don't need to be that high.
Might be good to have 'roofs' on your nests.
Here's some tips on heights:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-stuff-works-well.73427/

Anything in particular I need to look out for or pay attention to with an inherited flock?
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?
Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Oh, and...... Welcome to BYC! @Sportsman94
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1627127034040.png

Thanks for the tips! Location added. I think y’all are right on the australorps instead of the marans. I was hopeful for marans, but I’m not complaining about the price. My plan is to make some nest boxes that are accessible from the outside. I just haven’t had a chance to get it done yet. Hopefully next week I’ll get my run very well on it’s way and add the external nest boxes.

Another question. The previous owner said he made the mistake of letting them eat fresh cracked eggs. I’m not sure how often or how big of a problem it will be. But are there good ways to break that habit if it is an issue?

My plan is to make some nest boxes that are accessible from the outside.

I love outside-access nestboxes, but I recommend that you make them accessible through the vertical wall rather than the roof. Top-opening boxes are very hard to get leakproof.

I've got info on my nestboxes in my Little Monitor Coop article and on it's remodeling thread.

The previous owner said he made the mistake of letting them eat fresh cracked eggs. I’m not sure how often or how big of a problem it will be. But are there good ways to break that habit if it is an issue?

Time will tell.

I don't have experience with egg eaters, but one tip I've read is to make sure you've got fake eggs in every nest so that they'll hurt their beaks pecking on ceramic and stop trying to break eggs.

My plan is to make some nest boxes that are accessible from the outside. I just haven’t had a chance to get it done yet. Hopefully next week I’ll get my run very well on it’s way and add the external nest boxes.

Another question. The previous owner said he made the mistake of letting them eat fresh cracked eggs. I’m not sure how often or how big of a problem it will be. But are there good ways to break that habit if it is an issue?
Since you mentioned you're adding new nests, might want to look into roll away nest boxes, where the floor is slanted in the box to allow the eggs to roll into a protected chamber.

If these birds have been on medicated feed there whole lives, would coccidiosis and worme be something I need to look out for?
I just wanted to address this. Yes, coccidiosis can still be an issue even after being on medicated feed. It only helps, it doesn't make them completely immune & they can contract coccidiosis, usually when they go outside in a new place. If your birds are older & are already laying it will probably be less of an issue, it's usually more of a concern for younger birds but certainly keep an eye out. If you birds have been outside they may have already been exposed to it & built up their immunity.

I had a batch that were on medicated feed since birth, at about 10-12 weeks they immediately got coccidiosis when they hit the ground here.

Your coop is great!

I went back out to the guys house that I got the rest of the chickens from. He had two babies that were able to come and go through the run fence. During the commotion of chicken catching on Friday, the babies headed for the woods. Finally was able to grab them yesterday afternoon. They are in a brooder/kennel in my garage until they get a little bigger. I didn’t feel like they would fair well with all the grown chickens being quarantined in the coop for a week. I got most of my posts set for my run today, so hopefully I can get them let into the run by the end of the week!

658A9A71-F008-4D37-BC38-C077CFECEE01.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom