Inherited (Quilt) UFO's & New Projects- pics

BC_Farms

Songster
10 Years
Jan 20, 2010
Enfield & Chaplin CT
My grandmother has Alzheimer's and doesn't quilt or sew anymore because she doesn't really remember how. When they were cleaning out her apartment (she was hoarding a bunch of stuff and it was starting to become a fire hazard) they were deciding what to do with the fabric, and decided to give it to me. It's kind of hard to go through all the fabric, because looking at it I can tell who it was for. Here are some of the unfinished projects that I found among a ridiculous amount of fabric:

These are flannel blocks, on the left there are just blocks stacked up. Two rows are sewn together and one is not. It needs binding and I am not sure what to do with the "back" of the quilt...if the fabric will enventually fray and be a "rag" quilt, or if it needs to be cut or something.
47434_p6040008.jpg

This is just a quilt top but I think it's BEAUTIFUL. Is this a table runner? What kind of fabric should I bind/back it with?
47434_p6040010.jpg

A random heart block:
47434_p6040013.jpg

And here is the fabric that I'm going to use for my cousin's (baby) quilt which is going to be jungle themed. Not set on a particular design yet. I wanted to make it kind of like an "I Spy" quilt too but don't want to make it too crazy. I bought the two prints on the right today, the rest were from Grandma's pile. It's also hard because we don't know if it's going to be a boy or a girl
hmm.png

47434_p6040015.jpg

well the flannel one will become a rag quilt. after you sew it all to gether with the seems all on one side cut every 1/4" on those seems one the back, cut just shy of your seem. when it is washed and dried it will fray wonderfully. no need for sashing or borders.
the table runner you just quilt it just like a normal quilt, batting and a maybe a plain solid on the back.
the heart, make a hot pad or use it in a quilt with more blocks you might aquire from the swaps, if it is not 12.5" you can add a border to it to make it 12.5"

I know how you are feeling. We lost my Grandma to Alzheimer's as well. It's hard when they don't remember who you are. Everytime there is a lucid moment, you heart jumps and you think, maybe she's going to get better, but you know it's not true. My Grandma thought she was in the hospital to have a baby. My Mom gave her a stuffed bunny for Easter, it became her baby. Grandma knew that my Dad belonged to her, not who he was, but just that he should be there. On the other hand, the Grandson that she raised, she had no idea who he was. We learned to enjoy her for how she was and forget about who she wasn't anymore.

Grandma bought everyone of her gazillions of grandkids a Christmas present every year. Not something big, but like something like pajamas or hankies for the girls. Belts or jeans for the boys. Blankets, towels or sheet for the ones that had married. She would start buying right after Christmas ended. Most of the items came from the local Woolworth store.

Your Family members are going to feel truely blessed to receive a gift from Grandmother thru you. Thank you for doing this!!
hugs.gif

Thanks ladies! I'm going to finish those off and start on my own projects.

Quote:
Thank you so much for your help! The heart block is more of a rectangle, and since I want to make more hearts I'll add a border to it and make a small quilt with it...although I really liked the hot pad idea!

Quote:
Thank you Coyote for your kind words. It is hard. We took her out for Mother's Day and sat next to the buffet, and she couldn't find her way back. She's starting to "run away" (always to buy bananas lol) so we're getting nervous, especially since she can't go into a nursing home because she and her lawyer keep on fighting it :sigh:.

But I'm excited to be giving our family presents from the "both of us".

Back
Top Bottom