Inhumane conditions...?

TinkleTurkey

Songster
9 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Palmdale
I purchased a few chicks from a woman recently... I wanted to buy as many as i could, just to rescue them. Although I feel a little guilty like I shouldnt be supporting her...She had MANY birds in a very small space. I'm not sure if any laws are being broken, especially after seeing how the chicken meat industry raises its birds...

She had chickens stuffed in wires cages so small that many of them could barely turn around. And these aren't meat birds, they're ornamental types for breeding.

Now, if these were cats or dogs I'm sure she'd be violating some law. I havent done any research on this matter, but is this a normal thing for breeders to do?

I wouldnt think so. Just like puppy mills, this is probably the same thing but if athority does anything about it I dont know. Most of the time they consider chickens livestock and wont take same steps as dogs/cats. They should cruelity is cruelity.

Even puppy mills are supposed to follow certain regulations. People call the authorities when there are signs of over crowding or improper care. If you think they are improperly cared for, call the local authorities. Let them decide if there is a violation.

If it were me i would have turned around and walked away after i let them know why just in case they could not figure it out on their own.

It's sad but this kind of thing happens all the time, people buy a bunch of animals just for the purpose of breeding thinking they are gona get rich quick, before they even have a proper set up for them, then almost no one wants them after seeing them in this condition and they now have a money pit and the animal suffer for it.

I doubt anyone would do anything as long as they have food and water and are not dead in the cage ,they would probably get by with all their excuses because well to most they are just chickens like the ones we eat and it's accepted practice in the food industry.

there was just one dead one, and its cage mate was pacing frantically back and forth. I pointed it out but she didnt act surprised or treat it as a priority.

If one of my birds died, i wouldnt be able to concentrate on ANYTHING until i disposed of the body...

But the rest of them seemed alive and well, aside from being distraught at being trapped in a small space.

I'd report it... Maybe just having a visit or even a simple call from the humane society would give the owner a wake up call. Other than that, there's nothing else you can do, but at least you did do what you could. (Hope that last sentence made sense!!)

that's true... I dont want to ruin her life but maybe if shes not breaking any laws they could still have a look and suggest that she build bigger enclosures or have fewer birds...

also i would worry with so many birds in a concentrated area and being so close to her house (and her neighbors) that any outbreak of disease could be difficult to contain.

Last edited:
Quote:
Maybe she is not in code and the birds will be taken away. I would report it especially since there was one dead bird and she did not seem to be in a rush to take care of the situation.

I think you should report it as soon as possible. You probably won't be 'ruining her life' but she will certainly continue to ruin many chickens lives until something is done.
hmm.png

I recommend contacting organization if you can: animal control might just kill the birds.

Last edited:
I dont know what the laws are there but here in Fla, I reported some chickens that were in a coop at a home the owners no longer resided in but still owned. Apparantly after speaking to the neighbor she told me the people owned another home in town and only came out once a month to mow the property out here...I was worried about the chickens and the fact that it gets unbearably hot here, so I called the animal control who told me they dont handle poultry , so I had to call the sherrif's office...Noone ever came so I decided to jump the locked gate and check for myself that the chickens had clean water and food, it was very sad and after about a month or so they vanished...Point is I dont think alot of people look at them the same as other animals, I cant imagine why, I love my girls (and two boys) and I cannot imagine ever mistreating them in any way, I hope that you decide to turn her in to the proper authorities. At least the ones you bought will have a chance at a happy life ;o)

Back
Top Bottom