Injecting Meds / Coryza / Tylan 50?

jhitson

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 26, 2011
Two of my red stars are showing signs of Coryza or something very similar. One of them has had it for a week or better and the other just a few days.
They both have drainage from nostrils that is sticky and has a foul odor. They are both still laying, eating and very active.
Also have a Black Australorp that has been constantly sneezing but with no drainage for about a week now?

I did a nasal flush with a solution warm water and Tylan 50 for the Red Stars and also injected 50cc in the breast of each of the sick hens.

The first two hens I injected with no problem. The third hen I injected and when I was almost done injecting I noticed some blood coming out?
I thought I wouldn't have that problem in the breast muscle. I am pretty sure the location was right. Just wondering how to properly inject and if I could have done any damage? Also, I have read dosage suggestions from 25mg to 100mg for a standard hen. The higher dosages seem to be mostly coming from people in the UK using Tylan 200.

I want to knock this Coryza out and would like to stick to only the Tylan 50 for as short as possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Also I have read that in the UK Tylan is approved to read zero day withdrawal. That is based on the powder that is added to water. If I did the math right the dosing on that would add up to 100mg -400mg per day for a 2kg/ 4.4lb hen. That sound like a lot more than the injections I am doing but I realize it takes more orally. It would be nice to not have to wait 2 - 4 weeks to use the eggs after we stop the antibiotic. Anyone know more about this?

Hi im a bit of a newby here lol.. ive just injected 15 Chickens today with Tylon 200 and one of mine was bleeding quite a bit and i did them on the left breast, ive just checked on her and shes stopped bleeding... My vet told me with Tylon 200 i have to inject chickens with 0.5mls and Bantoms 0.3mls so not sure if that helps. I know what your going through too as mine have either Mycoplasma or Coryza, i think its probley Mycoplasma as theres no smell.. Good Luck anyway xx

In both cases you hit a blood vessel. This is undesirable and can be detrimental in some cases. This is why when doing an IM injection you need to aspirate the needle before you inject the contents of the syringe. Did you do that?

The one time I hit a blood vessel I didn't even have to aspirate the needle. It was obvious that I had nicked a vessel from the blood that blew into threads between the needle and the barrel of the syringe. There shouldn't really ever be any blood until after you pull out the needle and then there should be very little. If you see that you have hit a vessel you need to pull out the needle and find a new injection site.

That is interesting because .5ml of Tylan 200 would be equal to 2ml of Tylan 50.
Almost everyone here in the US is recommending only around .5ml of Tylan 50 which is only a 25mg dose vs. your 100mg dose.

I would prefer to do this all natural. I have separated my sick hens and been giving all the hens Collidal Silver and Grape Fruit Seed Extract in their water. They all still seem to be coming down with this however. I think I have to go to the antibiotic in order to get rid of this. I just want to do it right.
I do not want to keep administering antibiotic for a long term.

Did your vet tell you the frequency to administer. I have also read another person from the UK giving a .5ml dose of Tylan 200 once and then again in 48 hours. Let me now what your vet recommends and also what the withdrawal period is for eggs.

Sorry my last post was in response to Tracy.

As far as the injection goes. Thanks for the info. I did not notice blood until i was almost done injecting. I think that I let the needle go a little deeper while injecting and then drew some blood. I wiped it with an alcohol swab and it didn't seem to bleed much more. I will make sure to aspirate next time.

Hi i think you read it wrong lol.. I only give 0.5mls not 5.0mls.. Yes we have to give it once side of the breast, 48hrs and then do the other side of the breast... My vet told me i can start eating eggs 5 days after last injection...

Hi CMV Thanks for your reply. I think what happend was the chicken i did jumped which made it bleed... I always check for blood and if i do hit i wrong spot i withdraw very quickly and try again.. Everything you have mentioned ive taken on board, its good tob have so many caring and helpfull people on BYC i would recommend this site always and ive learnt so much...Thank You.xx

Yes, I understood 0.5 ml of Tylan 200. If I understand correctly Tylan 200 contains 200mg Tylan per ml. So, 0.5ml would contain 100mg of Tylan

I have Tylan 50 which contains 50mg per ml and if I administer a 0.5ml dose that would only contain 25mg Tylan. That is only 25% of the dose your vet recommended. The difference is most of the people suggesting the 0.5ml of Tylan 50 state to administer daily for at least 5 days.

I suppose there are so many different opinions since the injectable is not labeled for Poultry.

Thanks for all the help. I don't know what I would do without this resource. All the feed/ farm supply sources in my area are clueless when it comes to medication for poultry. A few people have tried to sell me a wormer med. for what looks like Coryza.

Quote:

like Tracy the chick said
be careful when injecting Tylan. if you get it in a vain, it can kill your chicken!
always pull up on the pluger a bit first. If there is blood remove it and try again in a different spot.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom