Injured 5 week old chick

AndieM33

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2020
My neighbors dog got into my run and got one of my chicks that have been with the flock outside for almost a week. The chick is alive and doesnt appear to have broken bones but the dog tore the skin off of her neck. I put veticyn on it and have her in the house in a warm quiet spot. I gave her water with electrolytes as well. Is there anything else I can do? I have penicillin and am wondering if that would be worthwhile to give her as I am concerned about an infection.

Can you take pictures? Keeping infection away is top priority. Can you separate the chick from the others while it heals?
D678A23F-D9DC-4F1A-8972-07A23B548E01.jpeg

Pictures would be helpful. These types of injuries on the back of the neck are fairly common. It depends on if any internal damage was done, if the chick will survive. What have you got around for wound care? Chlorhexidene, weak Betadine, Vetericyn Wound Spray, or saline is used to clean the wound. Then keep it moist with plain Neosporin ointment twice a day. Is the chick awake, standing, and moving around? Keep it separated from others in a dog crate with food and water.

Pictures would be helpful. These types of injuries on the back of the neck are fairly common. It depends on if any internal damage was done, if the chick will survive. What have you got around for wound care? Chlorhexidene, weak Betadine, Vetericyn Wound Spray, or saline is used to clean the wound. Then keep it moist with plain Neosporin ointment twice a day. Is the chick awake, standing, and moving around? Keep it separated from others in a dog crate with food and water.
I have only used veticyn. I have a strong bedadine that I can use. Should I dilute it? She is sleeping and not eating/drinking much, but her head is up.

My neighbors dog got into my run and got one of my chicks that have been with the flock outside for almost a week. The chick is alive and doesnt appear to have broken bones but the dog tore the skin off of her neck. I put veticyn on it and have her in the house in a warm quiet spot. I gave her water with electrolytes as well. Is there anything else I can do? I have penicillin and am wondering if that would be worthwhile to give her as I am concerned about an infection.

Attachments

• F87A7177-3BE2-46F9-A242-C769443E3C3C.jpeg
    F87A7177-3BE2-46F9-A242-C769443E3C3C.jpeg
    460 KB · Views: 9
That is a bit worse than I thought. Is there any puncture wounds in the back? The lungs are located in the upper back. Listen for any air escaping the wounds. She may be in shock at first, so keep her in a quiet room. Offer sips of water from a small scoop or cup often. Wet chicken feed, small amounts of scrambled egg or canned cat food cannbe offeredd often.

omg .. poor little guy, keep him warm and daub some kid of betadine or something on .. hope he makes it ..

If the Betadine is 10%—check the label—it can be used undiluted on the wounds once to disinfect them. Then switch to your Vetericyn for wound care twice a day. Use plain antibiotic ointment on open wounds or puncture wounds. Let us know how she gets along.

Back
Top Bottom