Injured and limping chicken

Chick N Momma

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 12, 2013
Valatie, NY
We have a female leghorn approximately 13 weeks old that was injured last week. A 1/2 sheet of plywood blew over from an upright position - on top of her. Since then she's been limping. We picked her up and palpated her leg and moved in every which way we could. She didn't seem to react much except for wanting to be put back on the ground. However, she is limping. I cannot figure out WHERE she is injured.

She will walk/limp a little and then just lay down. She's eating and drinking fine and looks well. She makes "happy noises" - but no squawking like she's hurt.

We have had her isolated most of the day and all night in a wire dog crate right in the coop, letting her out to move around a bit only when we can be with her. I have 55+ other chickens that I keep in a 100' round area. Many of them are males (meat birds) that will be butchered in the near future, thankfully. I say thankfully, because as soon as I let her out, one or more of my roosters comes right over and mounts her. So, when I DO have her out, I keep her in my fenced in garden now.

It's been just about a week and she's STILL limping. We've been giving her 1/2 baby aspirin a couple of times per day. What else can I do for her? How long will this take to heal? I really wish I knew WHAT her injuries were? Pulled muscle or ligament? Nothing seems broken or dislocated.

Thanks for any ideas/help/suggestions.

I think you're doing fine. Sometimes this kind of injury will clear up in a few weeks, sometimes not. I'd just continue to keep her from moving around much, and of course prevent her from being mated. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom