Injured baby duck

Joshmorrow9234

In the Brooder
May 4, 2021
I have an almost week old baby duckling that I bought from tractor supply and it seems to have hurt either its leg or foot. I'm not sure if the leg is broke but it's foot is turned inward and has trouble standing and walking. I separated it and the three other ducks from the rest of the flock so it has more room to hopefully rest and heal. It still is acting normal eating, drinking and pooping. Is there anything else I could do for it? And how do I know if the leg is actually broke?

What are you currently feeding them? Are you adding supplemental niacin?

Niacin deficiency can cause issues will legs like weakness, leg bowing, and pigeon toed stance, is why I ask. If you are not feeding a food with high niacin content, like Naturewise Chick Starter, you will want to be adding some to the food. A lot of people use Nutritional Yeast for this.

What are you currently feeding them? Are you adding supplemental niacin?

Niacin deficiency can cause issues will legs like weakness, leg bowing, and pigeon toed stance, is why I ask. If you are not feeding a food with high niacin content, like Naturewise Chick Starter, you will want to be adding some to the food. A lot of people use Nutritional Yeast for this.
I've been feeding them a mix of unmedicated chick starter and duck feed. I've also been feeding the ducks peas.

I would add supplemental niacin to the feed. Also, since you are already seeing potential issues in one duckling, you might want to also get some Vitamin B Complex from Tractor Supply or another feed store to also supplement with. You could put 1 ml over their peas each day and get them to eat it that way.

Back
Top Bottom