Injured Barred Rock. Awful limp with a floppy foot - any advice?

Charlie241

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 11, 2013
Hi Folks.

I have a beautiful Barred Rock.She arrived in July and was POL.
She has always been on the naughty side and is always the chicken that is escaping.

Two weeks ago I noticed she was limping. This has got progressively worse.
She can lift her leg but seems to have a floppy foot. So she kind of slaps it on the ground as she walks.
I have examined her and can find no injury but I am not an expert.

To start with she was 'slapping' her foot down and standing with both feet on the ground.
I have noticed that the last 3 days she is now only actually putting her foot down in panic and if she actually walks any distance and then that is a hop really. Her foot has not lost colour and has not shrunk.

To add to the misadventure I now have noticed that her wing on the same side is limp and I think it may be broken.

She seems ok...she is eating and talking. The other hens have left her alone. I am getting her out and putting her into bed as it seems to be easier for her and then I know she is ok.
She does get in a muddle when she puts the injured foot down on top of the good one and then can't move anywhere...oh dear!

I did initially think that perhaps she got caught somewhere escaping the enclosure but now I am thinking something has had a go at her.

I really don't know what to do. She looks miserable. It is cold here and I am frightened the weather will finish her off.
I can't bring her into the house as I would probably bring on a divorce..ha ha!

Could she has actually broken her foot? Any ideas, suggestions would be fantastic. I am excited to find you all here.
Have a good evening.

Charlie

Firstly welcome to BYC. This is quite a mystery that both her foot and wing on the same side are limp. When you moved around her foot did she make any noise or try to pull it away in pain? Have you examined the wing? Spreading it open slowly to see if it has mobility without causing her any pain. Not really sure I can help you, hopefully someone else might have more knowledge with this. It sounds like stroke symptoms in a person. i wonder if chickens can get them. Hope you find out what it is.

Thank you Mahlzeit for yout time and reply.
I have had another look today, Her foot actually look withered now and she seems to be letting it just hang there. Mobility is slow and haphazard by the looks of things.
There are no obvious injuries, no breaks or fractures.
No signs of pain either.
Her wing was interesting in the fact that I couldn't extend it. It was kind of set in one position.
I guess a chicken could have a stroke..it you have a heart and lungs then you can stroke surely.

Does anyone know if chickens can survive just with one leg? Is it unfair on them? She is still chatting and eating.

Back
Top Bottom