Injured Barred Rock seems to have paralysis on feet. Need help on Diagnosis and Possible Cure. Pleas

averkademay

Songster
9 Years
Dec 14, 2013
Hello All!
I have a Barred Rock who is under a year old and will not us either of her legs.
It started out with her injuring one of her legs (i don't know how). She would limp continuously. I separated her and fed her cooked eggs to help her. She improved a little bit. Her walking motion was lifting her hurt leg, curling her toes, and stepping on her curled toes to a limp. After a great amount of time being separated and fed her normal food with cooked eggs, she seemed to cope with it and I let her with the others for a few days.
Today I found her laying down and refused to use both legs. I have her inside now, but I am very confused on what she has that is causing her legs to lock up and how to cure it. She can stretch both legs and toes out with out a sign of pain. I found no injuries on either leg. She does not have Bumblefoot. Is this paralysis? What could cause her to act like this? How can I help her? Is there a cure?
Thank you all in advance.
Blessings

Possibly Marek's Disease. If that is the case, there is no cure and her days are numbered. I would not allow her contact with any of your other birds, nor would I frequent your coop while you're caring for her because you may carry the disease to the remainder of your flock. It wouldn't hurt to try giving some vitamins and/or electrolytes just in case it's a deficiency of some sort. I would also check for parasites and such, both on her body and in her stool in case she has mites or worms dragging her down.

You could contact your local extension office or state veterinarian and see if they would perform a necropsy for you to confirm Marek's. If it is indeed Marek's Disease, I would expect other birds to succumb...

Paralysis of legs or feet generally is among the first symptoms of Mareks. Survivors will be carriers for life. There are many articles on Mareks disease on BYC. Put Mareks in the search box and it will come up.

Ah, just as I feared the most. I will get her an appointment as soon as I can for the necropsy.
None of my other birds have the symptoms yet. I did today sanitize their feeder and waterer for a possibility of hope. I added 'Performance Poultry' to supply Probiotic and Electrolytes to their water. It also says on the bottle "Suggested use...during disease conditions" so I hope this helps the birds fight the disease. I will check Twilight for the parasites and give her some electrolytes for her health. Her poop looks normal with no worms.
I do have some questions.
I am going to sanitize the whole coop to wipe out any left over Marek stuff. What do you suggest that I use to kill the disease? Would bleach work?
I am not sure that she was vaccinated. She was from Thiesens. So, if she was vaccinated, was she one of the couple birds that got infected regardless of the vaccination?
I know that the rest of my flock is vaccinated. So, will her disease spread to the vaccinated birds?
Is there any way to reverse the paralyzation?
Is there any more ways that I can help prevent spreading the disease?
I love my birds very much and I have many show birds in the flock that I would be very sad to lose.
Thank you all for replying. Bless your hearts!

Assuming Thiesens is similar to our Southern States or such in that it's a local farm/hardware shop that peddles chicks in the spring? If so, it's highly unlikely that she was vaccinated. Bleach probably won't help with Marek's but it won't hurt either if that's all you have. Oxine (or a similar concoction) is generally what people use to clean up after Marek's. Your vaccinated birds should be okay, but as you've all ready referenced - it's possible, though unlikely, that a vaccinated bird may still fall ill.

As for protecting the birds - vaccinate and biosecurity. Don't bring birds into your flock (or at least quarantine them for a while). Make sure you clean up and change clothes before going to your coop if you've been around other birds (or in feed stores, etc). I've never tried it, but I once saw a report that claimed that there was a terribly small chance that a bird with Marek's could recover if you vaccinated her with the Marek's meds. Not sure if I believe it, but if you have it available locally, what's there to lose? I wouldn't go through the trouble or ordering a supply via the post - with it being a time sensitive issue and all...

Sorry for the long silence! I have been very busy the past few days.

Ok so, I contacted Theisens who gave me the number for Hoovers Hatchery. The Hatchery says that they do not vaccinate the chicken unless the store asks for them to be vaccinated for mareks. Usually the stores do not ask for the chicks to be vaccinated before selling them to customers.

I don’t have any Oxine, but I am willing to get some. I was wondering if Steramine Disinfectant/Sanitizer For Farm And Veterinary Use would work.

Also on vaccinating, I heard that revaccinating is effective so should I revaccinate all my birds at once? If I am going to buy a bunch of vaccinations for my birds I might as well try it on Twilight.
Also now knowing that the feed stores that sell chicks do not vaccinate, I do have one or two birds that are not vaccinated. One of those birds is a 6 year old bantam. She was given to me by a friend six years ago and she has no record of vaccination for the bird. What should I do with her? Is it ok to vaccinate an adult bird for mareks even though they were not ( possibly )vaccinated as chicks?

Twilight has no sign or mites nor worms. Should I dust and deworm her and the rest of the flock anyway to be absolutely sure?
Also Twilight is walking on her ankles now, just able to walk around a bit. I have noticed that she has heavy breathing which is probably the mareks infecting the respiratory system. She is active, happy (despite her condition), and still laying eggs.

Last edited:
Is the bird still alive or has is expired?

If alive, have you tried vitamins and or electrolytes? Have any other symptoms developed? You could try administering some pain medication in case it's as simple as her not being able to olerate pain. 5 crushed aspiring per gallon of water. You may be able to get your vet to prescribe Meloxicam.

If she's expired, have the other birds developed any symptoms?

She is still alive and well. Both legs are still paralyzed. She is able to walk/ crawl to get to food/water. I have been feeding her electrolytes. Her only symptoms is her paralyzed legs. She does seem to be losing weight. I will start feeding her some eggs, bread, etc. for more eating. Her legs are still the same, but the paralysis is not increasing nor decreasing. She is easily exhausted from shuffling around and panting like a dog to show her heavy breathing.

I have been watching the rest of my flock very carefully and none are showing any kind of symptoms. Is my flock now safe? should I still give my flock revaccinations?

I will try the aspirins for her.

Is it possible that you ave any suggestions on vaccinating on my previous post?

Thank you so much for the help!

I've never revaccinated but have also heard of people claiming it to be effective. I've also heard people claim vaccinating a knowingly infected bird can save the bird vaccinating after the fact - who knows if either is true. I vaccinate chicks, and then try not to treat anything unless there are symptoms present. Obviously you have a bird with an issue, but the others seem to be thriving still. If it were Marek's, I'd think the initial bird would be lost by now, and the others showing signs (but I'd still continue to monitor).

I'd try some vitamin A & D supplements with the ill or injured hen if you haven't all ready... That being said, it may be a simple waiting game and there may not be much hope for your chicken. The most irritating aspect of chicken ownership is that you can walk outside and find a perfectly healthy bird dead at any time...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom