injured beak question

@Cluckies

Didn't meant to sound blunt…Should have said IMO.

But the beaks and toenails are like our nails…mostly protein. Folks used to take gelatin capsules = protein to get stronger nails. Really don't think it made a difference. But adequate protein is necessary.

When they have a beak injury, we need to be thankful it is just the superficial keratin and not the underlying bone.

Totally agree with the watched kettle never boils. Recovery from any injury seems endless when we worry about our loved pets. And I am the queen mother worry hen!

Oh, no worries Sunflour. I did not take it as blunt, I was thankful for the correction as I did not know that. :) By the way, I also built a coop using the Wichita Cabin Coop as a base plan, I love your addition, I'm thinking of a way to expand mine and just may steel your idea! I'm going to upload my photos to an album but have to figure out how to do it first :)

Oh, no worries Sunflour. I did not take it as blunt, I was thankful for the correction as I did not know that. :) By the way, I also built a coop using the Wichita Cabin Coop as a base plan, I love your addition, I'm thinking of a way to expand mine and just may steel your idea! I'm going to upload my photos to an album but have to figure out how to do it first :)

Had a difficult time figuring out how to expand it and and ex builder helped us. If you are interested I can post pictures of how he blended it in…turned out great. Gave my gals extra 7 X 10 foot additional room.

Somewhere between Wednesday morning and Wednesday afternoon, the top part of her beak came off. I thought the cracks had healed, but apparently not. BUT, the tip of her beak has grown out and is almost even with the lower one. That is just in the last couple of days, too.
Also, you can see, in this photo, how bedraggled she is from molting. If you look closely at her feet, you can see the new feathers coming already coming in.

sunflour -- Both girls are getting an avian protein powder. She's been on it about a week, and it seems to be helping the tip grow. Now if it helps the top part grow back over, where it broke off yesterday, we'll be good. Maybe if she'd been on this protein supplement earlier, she wouldn't look like she's half plucked. And hopefully Hilary's molt will go better since she's already getting that extra protein, too.

Thanks again! Everyone's feedback is most appreciated.

Cluckies -- I maybe should clarify. The outer shell of her upper beak, which was cracked and bleeding when this started a few weeks ago, has fallen off. I thought it had healed, but apparently not. But, yes, she can eat just fine. I'm still giving her moistened hen food so she doesn't have to work too hard to eat it. And I was very happy today to find that she can eat live meal worms again. So, I'm just hoping that her beak fully heals someday. By the way, you think she's looking good? With those feathers sticking out all over?
lol.png
Okay. But, I noticed this morning that new feathers already coming in.

Back
Top Bottom