Injured bird

Thank you all for your encouraging words - it's so good to hear from people who are familiar with the lovely peafowl. He is my oldest, I have 3 other yearling cocks and 2 yearling hens. I'm pretty sure he was the leader of the bunch, they seem a bit lost without him hanging around, so I penned them in for now- hopefully he'll be strutting his stuff again soon.

Is he feeling any better yet?
fl.gif

Thank you all for your encouraging words - it's so good to hear from people who are familiar with the lovely peafowl.  He is my oldest, I have 3 other yearling cocks and 2 yearling hens.  I'm pretty sure he was the leader of the bunch, they seem a bit lost without him hanging around, so I penned them in for now- hopefully he'll be strutting his stuff again soon.

X2,
1f64f-1f3fd.png

Gerald Barker

Thank you all for your encouraging words - it's so good to hear from people who are familiar with the lovely peafowl.  He is my oldest, I have 3 other yearling cocks and 2 yearling hens.  I'm pretty sure he was the leader of the bunch, they seem a bit lost without him hanging around, so I penned them in for now- hopefully he'll be strutting his stuff again soon.

@Jadie82, how is he today?

-Kathy

He is back with the other peacocks, still is not roosting, staying on the ground, but he seems to be eating well - pretty sure he is on the mend!

He is back with the other peacocks, still is not roosting, staying on the ground, but he seems to be eating well - pretty sure he is on the mend!

Yay!
clap.gif

Will he let you handle him at all? Perhaps if you approach him quietly after dark? Now that he's had a few days to recuperate a bit, you might want to try to check for a wing injury or some other physical damage.

If I go out when it is dark, I can usually put a hand on the back of my birds. Obviously you don't want to stress him more or cause him to injure himself further. If I'm calm, I can put my hand gently on the shoulder at the base of the neck, and with just a bit of down pressure, the bird will tend to stay put. I drape a towel over them and wrap it underneath, scooping up the legs while they are pointed backwards, which keeps them from injuring their wings fighting me, and from injuring me with sharp toenails. That wrapped towel gives me a kind of bird burrito to work with. If I were to try to look at a wing, I'd probably add another towel wrapped from the other side so I could keep the other wing and legs bundled -- I dunno, you have to find what works for you. Different people have ways that work for them catching birds. Some birds are tame enough to just be handled with no fussing. Others totally freak out. Some folks use nets (I keep meaning to buy one) but I don't think I would want to try to net him if he might already be injured unless it was really necessary.

I'm thinking that if there is a wing injury, it may be better to find it in case it needs to be fixed. But hard to say why he isn't roosting yet. Also check his eyes -- if he is having problems seeing, he will be less likely to fly up to his roost.

So glad he is doing better!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom