Injured Canada Goose. What should I do?

Here's a view from the other side and a little bit more above. The feather damage is more noticeable in this picture. It looks like damage from over mating, possibly. Does this happen in the wild? Of course I don't know much about geese except what I've learned while tending to these Canada Geese.
20210514_131334.jpg

I walked outside to the most precious surprise yesterday. Gooslyn hasn't been here in a couple of months and I feared the worst. I have brought Gooslyn up in conversation on several occasions this past week. Knowing that I've not seen her, in spite of a flock 33 strong visiting on a daily basis for the past month, I mentioned that I thought she was dead. The last time she was here I noticed she had suffered some trauma to her face. It was obvious that she knew how excited I was to see her. I was running and calling to her and she was hoping towards me. This goose amazes me. She has some scarring on her neck now. No open wounds but some bald places and feathers of different colors. For this goose that's only able to use one leg to continue to thrive for more than a year and a half + , she is quite inspiring. Her will to live is amazing. I wish I could do more for her but it's obvious that she appreciates the feed and scratch that I give her. I believe she appreciates that I get her off to herself and keep the others away from her as they can be quite aggressive towards each other. I hope Gooslyn lives many more years to come. She makes my days better whenever she's here 💜
20210816_112240.jpg

I can guess the scarring is from a fox or raccoon trying to grab her, though she is a survivor unfortunately her handicap makes her an easy target.

She could survive many more years, but the scars on her neck make it clear that at any time she could be easily predated, so you could let nature play out, or you could get a license to own Canada geese and have a rehabber capture her, pinion her wings, and transfer her into your care for the remainder of her life, which may be a mercy given her leg issues. As it is you’re already feeding her so she’s almost like a pet already.

I can guess the scarring is from a fox or raccoon trying to grab her, though she is a survivor unfortunately her handicap makes her an easy target.

She could survive many more years, but the scars on her neck make it clear that at any time she could be easily predated, so you could let nature play out, or you could get a license to own Canada geese and have a rehabber capture her, pinion her wings, and transfer her into your care for the remainder of her life, which may be a mercy given her leg issues. As it is you’re already feeding her so she’s almost like a pet already.
I didn't even think about that. Thank you. I would love that more than I could put into words. Many times I have said that I'd absolutely love to have her stay here full time. In fact, that'd be a dream come true. Do you have any idea who I'd contact to get started on this?

As for the facial scarring I'm wondering if she got tangled up in some fishing line, but a predator seems likely as well. The geese fly across the road to a huge gated community that has lakes all throughout, every evening at dusk. The folks that live in the community do a lot of fishing and leave behind a lot of fishing debris. They do not like the geese and have made efforts to reduce the flocks. The geese return here in the morning anywhere from dawn to 10:30am. Oftentimes they'll fly overhead in a small area until they see me outside and then land in my pond. I guess if I was so lucky to be able to keep Gooslyn, I'd need to keep her in a safe predator proof run, and only allow pond time whenever I could supervise and only after I was absolutely certain she'd come up. Thank you again for your kind words and ideas. Thinking about her being attacked seriously hurts my heart so much.

Since I last looked the permits seem to have changed a bit but I may be wrong, I can’t find anything specifically about owning Canada geese, I know it isn’t required to purchase Canada goslings from a breeder, but things are trickier when acquiring them from the wild.

The gist is that unless it’s for a scientific or rehabilitation purpose it’s illegal. But she definitly qualifies as a rehabilitation candidate, though it doesn’t seem like she would be considered a good candidate for release with that foot so the rehabber’s options with a bird that isn’t releaseable is either euthanasia, to place it in a home where it will be cared for, or care for it and use the bird for education.
You could call around and talk to different wildlife rescue groups and get their insight if they’d be willing to do this, they know more than I do, if they think it’s a good idea they can capture and try to fix her up, then transfer her to your care rather than euthanize, she isn’t critically ill, but she doesn’t seem very capable of protecting herself with that leg, she has a long life ahead of her if she is taken care of,mher odds of surviving in the wild with that leg are low, to be honest she would make a very good serogate for orphaned goslings, which people turn in fairly regularly.

I’m not sure this is the proper form, but this is the form to transfer migratory waterfowl from one person to another, so this is what I expect they would use to transfer her to you https://fwsepermits.servicenowservices.com/sys_attachment.do?sys_id=2ef173d81b9cb41098dd859ce54bcb54

Found it here https://www.fws.gov/birds/policies-and-regulations/permits/need-a-permit.php

Personally, I would just let her be and not take her to a rehabber. She could be euthanized or put somewhere where she wouldn't survive. She obviously is surviving and has gone away from you, but still returns in one piece. My guess would be she was sitting somewhere in the spring and a predator tried to get her eggs or goslings. Or her ruffled feathers may be simply molting, or injuries from other geese picking on her. They bite each other very hard, including on the neck. This is not to be unkind, but if she is killed by a predator, it is meant to be, since she is wild. All wild birds and animals are part of the food chain.

The fact she has no mate, though, is interesting. Maybe something happened to him, or she does not want to go away with the flock at times, but back with you, and he goes with the flock thinking she's still with them in flight. She might not be able to make long trips. She's having a harder life than many Canada gooses, but she has a life. She's wild and she's free, as she should be. If she becomes unable to walk and swim, then you may need to take further action.

Last edited:
Gooslyn is back this morning 💜 This goose has been on my mind almost constantly. Like I mentioned before, the land owners at the gated community do not want the geese there and have taken action to reduce the flocks. But, I feel like there has to be more people feeding Gooslyn. The more I think about it, I'm beginning to wonder if there is someone else that's tending to her, possibly hands on medical care. For her to survive with this significant handicap, it just makes me wonder. I believe snapping turtles live in one of the lakes across the road. Another Canada Goose (suspected Gander) has shown up here a few weeks ago with the outside digit and part of the webbing between the missing digit and the next, completely and cleanly gone. The injury looked to be healed, but the poor goose was unable to walk around easily. It was obviously painful. I think about something like this happening to Gooslyn and it breaks my heart. On the other hand, I imagine for a wild goose to be captured and contained would be incredibly stressful. The stress itself could possibly have a severe impact on her well-being and that's troubling me. I'm going to make some calls today in hopes of answering the many questions floating around in my mind. No matter the outcome, Gooslyn will be welcomed, fed, respected and admired anytime she's visiting here. Thank you for your time and knowledge that's being shared. I sincerely appreciate it 💜

I know you are deeply worried about Gooslyn being killed by people, instead of predators. It's not the same and it's infuriating. She may be getting fed elsewhere, too, but they do eat a lot of grass. (One reason gated communities hate them so much.) Actually, waterfowl with bad wings or legs can still live a relatively normal life, but being "abnormal" like that can attract predators, as well as harassment from others of its kind. Whatever you decide to do, please stop stressing out about her so much. There's usually only so much you can do for a wild bird or animal. Being wild is their birthright and it comes with all sorts of plusses an minuses. Maybe it's better to accept whatever happens happens, and remember you always showed her kindness. 🥰

It’s very sad to me that building goes on around areas where geese have lived probably their entire lives. Then people move in and want them gone. We have Canada geese flying along our river and it’s a sight to behold. Just sad people see them as pests.When they were most likely there first.

Back
Top Bottom