Injured chick please help!!!!

lolas lil farm

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2017
image.jpg okay so I bought 3 chicks there are now entering the pullet stage. I have a Polish Saint run she is not the brightest chicken. She managed to get stuck under a part of my chicken coop and hurt her wing really bad. I disinfected the wound with hydrogen peroxide. It's been a day and her wing is GREEN it's not infected because she shows no signs of infection. I need help bad!!! What do I do!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 4
I'm not a veterinarian but have experienced injuries with my young chickens first hand and first of all let me say, you would be amazed by their healing process. It is so fast and effective. When my chicken was injured it was actually multiple fox bites where the first layer of skin was torn but it wasn't deep. I was so worried about infection but she healed so fast and is good as new. You did just right with cleansing it! Then apply neosporin. I would keep checking the wounds everyday. Apply the ointment once a day everyday for the first few days but then you should start to let it dry out so it can scab. If you want to give her a little pep, add electrolytes to water. I really wouldn't be concerned about infection just keep it clean and if it starts to look nasty or smell bad then get some more help because it may need to be drained. Keep in mind the color changing is normal for wounds- you'll know the difference. I'm thinking she'll just need a little TLC and she should be back to normal soon! Keep us updated!

Sorry she is hurt. No more peroxide, it is fine for the initial cleaning but will destroy healing tissue. No sign of sickness doesn't mean no infection. It looks dry which is good but looks infected to me. Give it a good smell see if you smell anything bad. Keep it clean w/ betadine, or vet rx, or blue kote or anything like that. Google sugar bandaging it might be very helpful for her and head off an infection or keep it from getting systemic. Keep her isolated while healing that is a huge target and the others will peck her to death w/ it. The only reason her skin should be any form of green is if you put something on it that changed it that color or if she has some silkie in her heritage w/ the fibromelanistic skin mixed w/ a yellow skinned bird can give a green tint to the skin you wouldn't normally notice in a fully feathered bird.

If you use Neosporin (which is a good choice) make sure there is NO PAIN RELIEVER in it, the "caine" based pain relievers even in small doses can kill fowl.

You need to keep a close eye on the chick and keep putting peroxide on it daily
Thank you so much
I'm not a veterinarian but have experienced injuries with my young chickens first hand and first of all let me say, you would be amazed by their healing process. It is so fast and effective. When my chicken was injured it was actually multiple fox bites where the first layer of skin was torn but it wasn't deep. I was so worried about infection but she healed so fast and is good as new. You did just right with cleansing it! Then apply neosporin. I would keep checking the wounds everyday. Apply the ointment once a day everyday for the first few days but then you should start to let it dry out so it can scab. If you want to give her a little pep, add electrolytes to water. I really wouldn't be concerned about infection just keep it clean and if it starts to look nasty or smell bad then get some more help because it may need to be drained. Keep in mind the color changing is normal for wounds- you'll know the difference. I'm thinking she'll just need a little TLC and she should be back to normal soon! Keep us updated!
Thank you so much your reply has made me feel so much better thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom