Injured chick please help!!

Eniareadshaw

Hatching
Jun 21, 2021
Hi everyone I’m hoping someone will be able to help me. I visited my parents house on Saturday and went to see the chickens as one of the hens had very recently just had chicks. When I went into the coop one chick was laid on its side bleeding from its head/neck area - it looked like the mum had pecked it. It was still alive and chirping so I removed it from the mum and isolated it with a heat pad and let it rest. I wasn’t expecting it to survive I just couldn’t let the poor thing go by itself in pain. After a few hours it came round and was drinking and eating but then It would sleep again. A couple of days passed and I noticed it was struggling to stand up, it’s legs go right out in front of its head and that’s the position it likes to be in. I’m wondering if it may have been stood on by its mum or one of the other chickens while it’s been on the floor? It tries to stand up but then falls on its side and gets worked up. The frustrating thing is that it’s absolutely fine in itself, it’s eating and drinking with my help (as it can’t balance), it interacts with me and makes all the normal sounds and doesn’t seem to be in pain. I’m just wondering if there’s anything anyone would suggest what I can do for it as I’d hate to think It will never walk and have a poor quality of life. I’m thinking about putting straws on it’s legs to hold them in place and I’m mixing brewers yeast in its food to hopefully strengthen the legs but anymore suggestions would be great. I’ll put some pictures on to follow.

Pictures would help.
Do your parents know if the chick was born with a deformity?
Momma hens can sense if a chick is sick or won’t survive and they will kill the chick.
I hope this isn’t the case but you won’t be able to put the chick back with momma and the others until it is better.

Pictures would help.
Do your parents know if the chick was born with a deformity?
Momma hens can sense if a chick is sick or won’t survive and they will kill the chick.
I hope this isn’t the case but you won’t be able to put the chick back with momma and the others until it is better.
I will put some pictures up later. My parents said it was up and walking when it hatched, but It did look different to the other chicks as the hen sat on a mixture of eggs so I’m thinking maybe this is why it was rejected. If it does pull through I’m thinking about buying a few more chicks for company. I’m just hoping it’s maybe a tendon issue or maybe that it’s just not strong enough to stand due to the injury.

Back
Top Bottom