Injured chick

hmccullough

Hatching
Mar 7, 2021
Hi there, I have had chickens for about nine years now and this is the first time I have had this happen with a chick. She is a sapphire gem. We have had her for about 7 days. Although I am wondering if there is more than just an injured leg going on here. I have noticed her sleeping a lot. She does eat. I am not sure how much she has been drinking. But today I noticed she wasn’t walking on one leg. She won’t put any weight on it at all. Her left foot appears swollen around her foot. But not severe. I am giving all the chicks a probiotic powder with electrolytes in their water. I have read about splayed leg but I just don’t know if this is it. She was walking good when we got her. Unless
I have just been missing signs of poor health, but I have never noticed her legs or feet facing the wrong direction. She has always been quiet. Not a whole lot of chirping. I am just not sure what I need to do here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 1FC6950B-6A0B-4830-8D9E-847A337489AA.jpeg
    1FC6950B-6A0B-4830-8D9E-847A337489AA.jpeg
    599 KB · Views: 13
  • A4751B28-8D5A-4B03-A971-93F17E063967.jpeg
    A4751B28-8D5A-4B03-A971-93F17E063967.jpeg
    402.1 KB · Views: 11
When I think of splayed I think of a leg out to the side. This looks like an injury to me. Especially if she is eating OK. Give her something really tasty like scrambled egg and see if she goes for it. I also make a mash for chicks when they are small. They seem to be able to eat better and I know they are also getting some fluids.

Was she shipped or did you pick her out at a store or hatchery? Just wondering if she got hurt during transport and it's just now showing up because she is moving around more??

When I think of splayed I think of a leg out to the side. This looks like an injury to me. Especially if she is eating OK. Give her something really tasty like scrambled egg and see if she goes for it. I also make a mash for chicks when they are small. They seem to be able to eat better and I know they are also getting some fluids.

Was she shipped or did you pick her out at a store or hatchery? Just wondering if she got hurt during transport and it's just now showing up because she is moving around more??

I purchased her from a feed store locally. I did give her some eggs and she did eat some. I do need to get a syringe so I can get her to drink more. The fact that she will not put any weight on her foot at all makes me think injury. I just don’t know how to determine exactly where the injury is. How how to treat it.

Inflammation is there to protect the foot so it's not all bad. It likely is uncomfortable so she may not be as perky as the others. If she is still moving around and not getting picked on then I would just watch to make sure she's eating and drinking and her vent isn't getting clogged up. Then give her extra treats like the egg so she gets extra nutrition to heal and it also gives you a better idea of food intake since you can't watch her 24/7.

If the foot starts to swell more or change color, or if she starts isolating herself then I would worry more.

Inflammation is there to protect the foot so it's not all bad. It likely is uncomfortable so she may not be as perky as the others. If she is still moving around and not getting picked on then I would just watch to make sure she's eating and drinking and her vent isn't getting clogged up. Then give her extra treats like the egg so she gets extra nutrition to heal and it also gives you a better idea of food intake since you can't watch her 24/7.

If the foot starts to swell more or change color, or if she starts isolating herself then I would worry more.
Ok. Thank you. I will keep a good eye on her and continue with the scrambled eggs. I have not noticed her getting picked on by any other chicks yet. So hopefully it stays that way. Thanks again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom