Injured chicken. I have no idea what to do.

RubyPlum

Hatching
Mar 8, 2021
My husband and I inherited 7 chickens when we bought a new house in December. We count heads every night and lock them in the coup. Tonight one was missing. We found her under a tree. She's alive but her guts are hanging out? I have no idea what happened. I've never had chickens before, just cats. We've been home all day and didn't hear anything. Though my husband saw blood when he was cleaning the deck earlier in the day.
I'm not good with blood so I didn't look closely, but things are hanging out and she seems in shock. Would something attack her underside and run off without taking her? Her head and neck seem fine. Did she push things out with an egg? I placed her in the coup, piled fresh hay around her and turned on the warming light.
Do any of you know what happened or what we should do? I'm so sad. I hate for her to suffer, but I can't kill her. I'm a wimp. Please help!

If her guts are hanging out... I think she is going to have to be put down I'm afraid. She's probably in agony and facing an extremely slow and painful death. Would your husband or a local neighbour do it?

I'm off to bed but - as gory as it may be, can you get a picture to show us?

Could be a weasel or a raccoon... a dog maybe but I'm leaning towards the former. I'm not sure about a raptor.

Back
Top Bottom