Injured chicken leg

JGGameFarm

Hatching
Mar 11, 2024
I am needing some advice on helping my injured chicken. She has bruising on her left leg. She cannot walk on it & basically has only been laying down & flopping around in the coop. She has been like this for 3 days now however the bruising did not show until today. How can I help my chicken?

I have a chicken who injured her left leg. This is her 3rd day of being injured & now has some bruising. She cannot walk on it & only flops around in the coop. I am needing some advice on what I can do to help her.

TIA 🙂

I am needing some advice on helping my injured chicken. She has bruising on her left leg. She cannot walk on it & basically has only been laying down & flopping around in the coop. She has been like this for 3 days now however the bruising did not show until today. How can I help my chicken?

I have a chicken who injured her left leg. This is her 3rd day of being injured & now has some bruising. She cannot walk on it & only flops around in the coop. I am needing some advice on what I can do to help her.

TIA 🙂
Welcome To BYC

Can you get photos of the hen and leg?

You see bruising, can you feel a break?

Is the skin intact, no wounds, cuts/abrasions?

With bruising, it may be fractured, if vet care is an option, that would be best.

If not, then if she's struggling to get around, I'd cage her within the coop or run with her own food/water so she's near her flock and can rest.

You may need to wrap or splint the leg to stabilize it. But with bruising and swelling, the leg and wrappings must be check frequently to ensure they are not getting too tight and that the toes/legs have circulation.

Here's a splinting manual that you may find helpful.
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

Back
Top Bottom