Injured chicken - need advice with stitches

Peroxide and Betadine are both fine for initial wound cleaning or for later cleaning of a really filthy, pus-filled wound. They both, however, destroy new skin cells. Use them once to get the wound clean and greatly reduce the number of bacteria in the wound, then don't use them again unless real nastiness occurs.

It's always best to avoid systemic antibiotics if possible, if only so they will still be effective if you really need them. Besides, which antibiotic would you use and why? No point in giving one that only kills bacteria in the gut when you have a skin wound, or only kills germs that are unlikely to be present. We know Neosporin contains antibiotics (3) that are suited to topical or skin germs. And yes, once you give a systemic antibiotic, you have to treat for the treatment with probiotics and sometimes other care.

The flap will likely fall off or just dry up into a scab, but it is possible that it will grow back onto her body, at least at the base of the wound. Either way, it's an ideal wound dressing. The area will be covered well enough with feathers that I doubt you'll be able to see it without examination, but there may be a bare spot under there, or not.

You've got the wound clean, and she's eating and drinking, so I'm betting she will be fine. She will conceal that she is in pain but it's probably not bad, especially with the Neosporin, as it takes a lot of the pain out of a wound because of killing off surface bacteria as well as the ointment keeping the air out.

The main thing that will heal her now is her own healing abilities and your good nursing care -- keeping her comfortable and well fed and hydrated, and keeping the wound clean.

BTW, the pain killer in Neosporin will not hurt a chicken. What you should not put on them is pain killers of the "caine" group, which some topical antibiotics contain, and which is what OraGel contains. Examples: benzocaine, novacaine, solarcaine -- you get the idea. The problem with them in chickens is that they are very sensitive to these drugs and it is easy to overdose them, even kill them, with a topical application.

Betadine is a form of iodine, which we all used to use on minor wounds, but stopped because it kills healthy tissue. It is relatively expensive and really not necessary. A mild soapy water solution is about as good for general wound cleansing. Peroxide is nice to have for a puncture wound because it boils out some of the crud. I would stay with Neosporin for that wound. BluKote is nice forr small wounds like pecking wounds, that have drawn a drop of blood, as welll as for bare spots. It is primarily gentian violet which is an old timey disinfectant; it also masks the blood and the wound so the bird can often stay with the group.

Okay - so just to clarify... no more wound cleaning/flushing. I haven't done any more since the initial cleaning.

Lots of Neosporin (2x a day is enough?) followed by Blu-Kote (or leave this off?)

Leave the flap alone. Definitely no stitches, not even one just to hold the flap up.

Copious amounts of rest, good food/water and TLC.

Yes or no on the oral antibiotics?

Last edited:
I think everyone here has given great advice.

I saw many many wounds through work and I totally agree - dont give oral AB's until sign of infection, could upset her system and dehydrate her at a time you need her good and hydrated.

The flap will most likely fall off later,depending on how the blood supply is in the tissue. A wound like this starts to heal by second intention, meaning the tissue starts to grow back in, rather than the present tissue reconnecting in any way.

Chickens heal a lot better than we give them credit. She will probably do just fine if you can keep any infection at bay.

Good luck with your little one.

An update:

We found the roo this morning. He did not survive either.
sad.png

Our wounded girl - however - is doing great. She is eating okay, drinking very well. Still not pooping much in volume but what she does produce looks perfectly normal. I attribute this to her not eating very much. I am hoping that once I can get her into a larger crate this afternoon and she's not so confined, she'll be more comfortable and her appetite will increase.

The wound has ZERO odor of infection as yet. The flap is for the most part "sticking" to the wound and I left this alone all day yesterday. Shortly after the attack, I ran across a post on here that described holding the wound together with feathers. (I love it when people think outside the box.) So Monday night, I tied two (still attached) feathers together, not expecting it to work at all. But this has done well to keep the flap up so that it can serve as a dressing of sorts. I have been liberally coating it with Neosporin. And last night I sprayed the exposed parts with Blu-Kote.

I am hopeful that she can spend some time out in the sun and fresh air tomorrow, predator protected of course. I think that will do more for these wounds than anything.

An update:

You guys... I cannot thank you enough for the advice you gave. Ya'll were spot on.

She is healing remarkably well from a wound that I never would have imagined she could survive.

Seriously, ya'll rock. Thank you!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Isn't amazing how fast they heal. I am amazed at how our feathered friends can endure things like dogs and even over zealous rooster like i had.

Glad she is healing up. and give yourself a pat on the back for taking such good care of her and not giving up on her.

woot.gif

Sorry for bumping this old thread but I did want to give an update on something that there was a question about when it happened.

The skin that has grown over the part with the completely missing flesh - amazingly - does indeed have feathers on it again. She still has the "flap" of the old skin that hangs just below her wing. It doesn't seem to bother her in the least.

She is still doing great, now has a new coop mate (a rehomed roo) and will soon have five more girls to keep her company.

Thank you all again.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom