Injured chicken

fatmomolive

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 5, 2012
i leg my girls (and a few boys) out to free range this afternoon- one of the girls was roosting in the dirt and was being antisocial. We noticed that she has a bloody spot on her back. Other than the wound no other issues. Any idea what could have happened? Could a roo have done this? Also what do you recommend to treat? Cleaning and Neosporin? My girls only free range for a couple of hours in the afternoon when I’m home to ward off predators. Otherwise in the run and coop. Thanks for any advice or input

Attachments

• B6321B22-0058-42DF-B39C-3006641196FE.jpeg
    B6321B22-0058-42DF-B39C-3006641196FE.jpeg
    631.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 961DDDA7-3D40-483E-9C7B-DA5DADC9FB05.jpeg
    961DDDA7-3D40-483E-9C7B-DA5DADC9FB05.jpeg
    478.9 KB · Views: 7
It does look like she’s being over mated, wash the wound with warm water and soap, flush the wound with iodine, hydrogen peroxide or betadine and Keep her separated from the flock to prevent the others from pecking at the wound.

It does look like she’s being over mated, wash the wound with warm water and soap, flush the wound with iodine, hydrogen peroxide or betadine and Keep her separated from the flock to prevent the others from pecking at the wound.

Alternatively, to keep her with the flock, apply a pine tar hoof dressing to it to prevent the injury from being pecked. The pine tar is also antipruritic, anti‐inflammatory, antibacterial and antifungal.

Alternatively, to keep her with the flock, apply a pine tar hoof dressing to it to prevent the injury from being pecked. The pine tar is also antipruritic, anti‐inflammatory, antibacterial and antifungal.
Where would I find pine tar. Tractor supply? Does the would need to be totally healed first before applying?

Where would I find pine tar. Tractor supply? Does the would need to be totally healed first before applying?

Yes, TSC. Make sure you read the bottle and it listed "pine tar". You don't want hoof dressing or conditioner. They carry this at most TSC:

No, it does not need to be totally healed first. Pine tar has all the healing properties I mentioned in my first post. Once she is healed, her feathers will be gunked up with the tar but she will eventually molt them out and grow new ones.

Back
Top Bottom