What in the world could be causing these foot injuries? (Scales scraped off?)

Will you still be able to identify each bird correctly? You could also use a colour code for in between with coloured zip ties.
I only have four birds and they all look different. I mostly have the bands for easy identification at exhibitions (the bands also have my phone number, so if I lose a bird for whatever reason, someone can call me). They don’t really need the bands for everyday life.

Are the metal bands require for showing? I was thinking the metal bands, although injury is also on the opposite foot so thinking something else. I use tiny multi colored zip ties & notes to ID chicks, making sure it's not too tight & check as the chick grows.

The picture of the run ... The first picture of the wooden wall, zoom in towards the top ... There's a board that has been "pried" ... Perhaps they're somehow catching their feet on that, would make sense due to the location on their feet injury. Check to see if there's blood on it. I am very surprised they are not digging under the wooden wall, my chickens love to dig the perimeter of their enclosure instead of the center.

Are the metal bands require for showing? I was thinking the metal bands, although injury is also on the opposite foot so thinking something else. I use tiny multi colored zip ties & notes to ID chicks, making sure it's not too tight & check as the chick grows.

The picture of the run ... The first picture of the wooden wall, zoom in towards the top ... There's a board that has been "pried" ... Perhaps they're somehow catching their feet on that, would make sense due to the location on their feet injury. Check to see if there's blood on it. I am very surprised they are not digging under the wooden wall, my chickens love to dig the perimeter of their enclosure instead of the center.
The metal bands aren’t required, I just like how they look aesthetically and I also liked how I could make permanent writing on them.
The girls don’t really care that they’re there, but I’ll reapply their bands a bit tighter and see if that makes it more comfortable for them.

Their run is up against the neighbors wooden fence, but over here in Texas we have hard soil. They’ve dug holes in the run but not under the fence.

I noticed that piece sticking out too. There’s no blood on it, and it’s hard to move. It’s a really big chunk, not particularly sharp though. I’ll try to remove it

The metal bands aren’t required, I just like how they look aesthetically and I also liked how I could make permanent writing on them.
The girls don’t really care that they’re there, but I’ll reapply their bands a bit tighter and see if that makes it more comfortable for them.

Their run is up against the neighbors wooden fence, but over here in Texas we have hard soil. They’ve dug holes in the run but not under the fence.

I noticed that piece sticking out too. There’s no blood on it, and it’s hard to move. It’s a really big chunk, not particularly sharp though. I’ll try to remove it
Just realized It’s too big to remove, it would make a hole

Attachments

• IMG_2172.jpeg
    IMG_2172.jpeg
    761.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2173.jpeg
    IMG_2173.jpeg
    647.2 KB · Views: 8
I've lived in TX and know those fences & soil ... Wonder if you could stick something to fill the gap, stick some rocks between. I'm still thinking it's not the metal bands but something they're digging & scraping their feet/scales. IF you got the time maybe "stalk" them for a few days ... Sorry I wasn't of much help, hopefully this mystery will get solved.

I've lived in TX and know those fences & soil ... Wonder if you could stick something to fill the gap, stick some rocks between. I'm still thinking it's not the metal bands but something they're digging & scraping their feet/scales. IF you got the time maybe "stalk" them for a few days ... Sorry I wasn't of much help, hopefully this mystery will get solved.
It’s ok! You’re the best help you can be, considering this has been pretty difficult to figure out.
I agree with you. I think that whatever it is, they’re doing it to themselves, since the injury is in the same place every time.

I’ll try to find a day to keep a close eye on them. Meanwhile, I’ll try to find a way to fill the gap. Maybe I’ll put a brick or two in front of it.

I’ll keep soaking and adding Neosporin to their feet for treatment and prevention of infection.

I'm sorry another one is injured.

Getting hung on the board may be the issue. Any wire fencing where they may be scratching around and getting their feet caught? Fencing will cut that's for sure.

Another thought - would be some type of predator that's trying to get to them, but I find it odd that the wounds are basically in line on both feet.

For the bands, I had thought of that too. I know you probably need them for showing, but if you can tell them all apart, perhaps leave the bands off all together until it's time to take them to show, then place the i.d. on them during the show and when you get home, they come back off? Is that possible?

I'm sorry another one is injured.

Getting hung on the board may be the issue. Any wire fencing where they may be scratching around and getting their feet caught? Fencing will cut that's for sure.
Hmm. We do have some chicken wire fencing. They have been living around that for a really long time though.
I also was thinking that the wire wouldn’t scrape off big patches like that, but you never know.
Another thought - would be some type of predator that's trying to get to them, but I find it odd that the wounds are basically in line on both feet.
That’s what I thought. Except we live in a pretty urban area, so I’m not sure what would be getting at them, and like you said, the wounds look weird for a predator.
We have fire ant piles, hawks, lots of rabbits, a cat (who has actually been staying away because our neighbor put up some sort of high pitch noise machine to keep the cat off his car). That’s pretty much it. We live in an HOA so there are no rat or mice infestations.
For the bands, I had thought of that too. I know you probably need them for showing, but if you can tell them all apart, perhaps leave the bands off all together until it's time to take them to show, then place the i.d. on them during the show and when you get home, they come back off? Is that possible?

That is possible. I do like to have the peace of mind of knowing that if my chickens get lost, they have my number on them. I also like how it looks. But if it means better quality of life for my girlies, then I’ll take the bands off. They’ve had them since around February with no apparent issues, even my 4 year old girl who had never worn a band before didn’t seem too bothered.
I’m thinking of seeing if I can apply the bands better, because apparently they are too loose? But, again, if that would be uncomfortable for them, I can (sadly) quit on the metal bands altogether.

Last edited:
I blocked the part of the fence that sticks out with a brick. I’ve decided to keep Jolene in the coop tomorrow and put the other three in the run. I’ve only removed Jolene’s leg band so far. I will remove and possibly replace the others bands tomorrow.

(Oh, also, I moved the stick pile away from where they hang out during free range time. Just to eliminate another possibility of what could be causing the injury.)

These injuries look like they could be caused by a type of weed with saw like teeth on them. The teeth are hard to see with the naked eye. In Ohio we have many different types of cutting weeds. use a magnifying glass to check the grasses and weeds in your run. The birds step down in them and when they pull their feet up they can get tangled and sawed. It looks like something like what you have there.

Back
Top Bottom