Injured Comb

JamWest1007

Chirping
12 Years
Dec 9, 2007
Nebraska
Hi All!

I am new to the board, and hoping you might be able to help. We just found one of our buffs covered in blood. It appears that her comb is torn and bleeding. Her whole head, and much of her chest, seems to be covered, yet she was fine just a couple of hours ago. The girls have been roosting in the rafters of the garage, and it doesn't appear that anyone else is injured, or that anyone else may have been the culprit...no blood on or near anyone else.

I am not sure what to do to help her. We brought her in and cleaned her up the best we could. Some of the blood had already started to dry, or freeze, and was not very willing to come off. I am wondering if there is more we should do, and what might have caused her injury. If it were frostbite, I wouldn't have expected it to bleed so much, but is it possible that could be the problem? It is *quite* cold here in Nebraska, but their coop is in the back portion of our garage, so there aren't any drafts. We do have a heat lamp, and a nice thick layer of bedding established, as well.

Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated. It is our first winter with our girls, and our first significant injury. I want to make sure we are doing what we can.

Thanks for any ideas.

Warmly,
Jammie

If it has stopped bleeding, I would put some neosporin on it or leave it alone. If it is still bleeding I would put blood stop or you can use flour to stop the bleeding.

Welcome to the byc JamWest1007
frow.gif

Could she have torn it on a nail in the rafters somewhere? A vet told me once to stop the bleeding put cornstarch on the wound. Good luck and you will find many good helpers out there whenever you have a problem.

Welcome to BYC!

I've had chickens get their combs caught on fence wire and other objects and bleed like crazy.

Look for anything sharp or jagged that they may have gotten too close to.

Back
Top Bottom