What do I do with my lonely chicken?

Basghettiii

Songster
Oct 6, 2023
Hello, I am looking for some guidance here. Two of my chickens went missing last night, and one came home injured. I don’t really have much hope for the other ones coming back, just because the injured one already did. The wound isn’t that deep, and has completely stopped bleeding. We are treating with vetrecine and silver honey to keep the wound clean and healing faster. We are keeping her quarantined until she heals up, so that leaves me with one chicken in the coop. She is clearly upset, so what do I do? Should I bring her inside to at least hear and see our injured chicken? Or should I just let her be alone for a few days? I don’t know what the right answer is, I’m just trying to do what’s best for my remaining babies.

I am so sorry to hear about your chickens! :hugs:(
Any idea what got them??? It is so frustrating when they get some chickens! You just want to yell " Go eat a mouse! "
I would let her be with her friend. At least let her hear her and let her know that she is not alone.
Also two chickens probably will not be enough to keep a healthy flock so maybe place an order from a hatchery and let them come in the spring. :)

I am so sorry to hear about your chickens! :hugs:(
Any idea what got them??? It is so frustrating when they get some chickens! You just want to yell " Go eat a mouse! "
I would let her be with her friend. At least let her hear her and let her know that she is not alone.
Also two chickens probably will not be enough to keep a healthy flock so maybe place an order from a hatchery and let them come in the spring. :)
I actually have five babies right now, but they are just too little to be with the big girls just yet. We believe that a coyote might have gotten to them since people have been seeing one around lately. Never any signs in the neighborhood though, so I have no idea where it could have got them. We have wandered the neighborhood several times, and no feathers.

Hi, sorry for your loss. You could consider putting the injured chicken back into the coop/run if she still looks normal. If she is quite torn up or has lost alot of feathers, you would probably prefer to set a dog cage (kennel?) in there to put the uninjured fowl in. That way, they'd be together in THEIR space.
Chickens and most animals feel less stress in familiar surroundings, and heal faster that way. (unless you still have flies)

Hi, sorry for your loss. You could consider putting the injured chicken back into the coop/run if she still looks normal. If she is quite torn up or has lost alot of feathers, you would probably prefer to set a dog cage (kennel?) in there to put the uninjured fowl in. That way, they'd be together in THEIR space.
Chickens and most animals feel less stress in familiar surroundings, and heal faster that way. (unless you still have flies)
Unfortunately, their current coop probably doesn’t have enough room to put a kennel in there plus their food and water. We are also trying to keep our injured girl inside because the elements aren’t great right now. It is very cold, dropping below freezing at night, so we feel that it is better for her to heal in our home. She is still in shock, but she is doing okay.

If possible, I would bring the other chicken inside for at least a few hours daily. Do it when you can watch that she is not picking at the wound. It benefits both girls to spend time together, and will make it easier when the wounded one is healed and goes back outside. I'm sorry you lost your other two.

If possible, I would bring the other chicken inside for at least a few hours daily. Do it when you can watch that she is not picking at the wound. It benefits both girls to spend time together, and will make it easier when the wounded one is healed and goes back outside. I'm sorry you lost your other two.
X2

Back
Top Bottom