Injured Duck Not Eating

Ihave never seen any on our property, but I believe they are around our area.
Snapping turtles do attack ducks, particularly ducklings. You can even find videos with them going after the ducks.

But I'm not an expert on this.

The wound being under the duck seems to fit this. If it were anything else it would be above or on the up or top or sides not below. Below would imply a pond water predator in the water, I think.

Snapping turtles do attack ducks, particularly ducklings. You can even find videos with them going after the ducks.

But I'm not an expert on this.

The wound being under the duck seems to fit this. If it were anything else it would be above or on the up or top or sides not below. Below would imply a pond water predator in the water, I think.
I hadn’t thought of that. It makes sense.

I am so glad I have found this thread because look:

View attachment 2336681
We found our Muscovy drake just sitting by the pond. He looked normal but he didn’t come running for dinner and that isn’t normal.
I brought him in and he has an injury on the under part of his wing, it’s a nasty cut, and another on his side (under the same wing).
I washed them real well with Vetericyn and the wounds are clean, and not deep. Not bleeding, and
nothing is broken, but he won’t eat or drink. He seems freaked out (well he’s in the house in a crate).
I will give him more time to settle down before I get pushy with food and water.
@Nighthawk78 , how is your duck doing now?

Ours is still holding on, she seems to have recovered from her shock and is still quite feisty.
How is your drake? Other people can probably give you better advice but for our duck's wound, we checked all over to make sure there was nothing too bad then rinsed the injuries as best we could to make sure there was no dirt in it.
If you have homeopathics, Carbo Veg is good for shock if you dissolve it in water and put a few drops in the beak (if you can).

Update: we've been to the vets, who said there is a possibility that the duck is septic and may have a back injury but she can't tell without xrays. We've been given antibiotics and I've been instructed on tube-feeding in hopes of her getting better. The opinion was she is definately worth taking a chance on as she is alert and fairly normal otherwise, but if she doesn't vastly improve in the next 7-10 days we'll likely be having her euthanized.

I am sad to report that my Muscovy drake died early this morning. He refused to eat or drink last night, and he seemed to be pretty out of it. I was given the name of an Avian vet, and I was going to call her this morning and hopefully have him seen. She is an hour from me.
He had a seizure around 5am this morning and died. 😢
I hope your girl does well. ❤️

I am sad to report that my Muscovy drake died early this morning. He refused to eat or drink last night, and he seemed to be pretty out of it. I was given the name of an Avian vet, and I was going to call her this morning and hopefully have him seen. She is an hour from me.
I hope your girl does well. ❤

I'm so sorry for your loss 💔

I hope your girl does well. ❤

So sorry for your loss.

It's been two days since we started antibiotics and she seems to be improving. She's using her right foot more in swimming and she started nibbling at the grain today. Hopefully she'll continue to improve over the next week. It's a bit difficult trying to crop feed her because she protests vehemently but we've managed to hold her down wrapped in a towel and get her to swallow the antibiotics, so far, so good.

Update: It’s been almost three weeks since the attack. She’s now eating on her own and seems fine except that she still can’t walk properly.
Vet said she’s had some sort of trauma to her back which is what’s impacting her walking but she has improved, so we have another round of anti-inflammatories for the next 2 weeks. After that we’ll reassess and make a decision if she’ll recover, so fingers crossed 🤞🏻

Back
Top Bottom