Injured duck. Please help.

Dfarago

Songster
Feb 23, 2019
High Desert, California
B4E15E63-4F8B-4803-94CD-DB7190184D8B.jpeg
30BBA3E3-1EDF-4842-9938-4500CB863EE4.jpeg
i noticed there was a red mark on my male’s neck about two weeks ago. Since then it went from a small bit of red to a noticeable mark and doesn’t seem to be getting better. I don’t know what caused the initial injury, however he keeps scratching the spot and not helping the situation. Is there anything I can do to help him? He’s not very friendly, runs away when we get too close. So if any first aid the needs done will require capture. Which I’m worried will hurt him more. As side note in the picture it looks like somethings sticking out of the wound, it’s just a feather.

Doesn't look bad from here, maybe wait until he falls asleep and get a closer look at it. Could be a little triple antibiotic ointment might help it heal up enough during the night that it doesn't itch in the morning.

Something else you could do is put some ACV into a bucket of water so he dunk his head and neck into it. 1-2 Tab per gallon of water it can help clean the wound and help healing. If you give him a 2 gal or smaller buck he'll probably be able to wash his whole neck good and at that strength it doesn't burn. But I'd first make sure it isn't a deep wound.

Back
Top Bottom