Injured duck

Welcome to BYC, sorry for you losses and your injured duck. :hugs Can you bring him inside where it's warmer? Have you check him thoroughly for injuries?
@HMR83 did your drake eat today?
No : ( and unfortunately the lettuce I gave him last night gave him runny poop. I did get him out to clean out his cage so he foraged in the yard for a bit and played in a big water tub with his head. I tried to mix the food and water and make it soupy and he had no interest. I am going to the farm store tomorrow to see if I can find anything for him to eat. He doesn't act lethargic...he was walking well and doing well outside of the cage. Could he be depressed??? His mom was the other duck that I had and she was killed..they were companions. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice so I plan to let him out again. I will be taping his wing tomorrow for sure so wish me luck. I think I may try an ace bandage? Any help is appreciated! Thanks for checking in!

Just make sure it’s snug but not too as to cut off circulation. He’s going to need to eat. I hope you can find something while your there tomorrow post if you think something might work we’ll try an help. I’d def get the poultry Nutri drench

Last edited:
He is in our garage in a large dog cage where it is currently about 45 degrees. We are in Ohio but when with the past couple of nights being cold the temp in the garage has not dropped below freezing.
It would be better for him if you could get him inside your house because 45 degrees is too cold for a sick or injured duck. Can you do that?

No : ( and unfortunately the lettuce I gave him last night gave him runny poop. I did get him out to clean out his cage so he foraged in the yard for a bit and played in a big water tub with his head. I tried to mix the food and water and make it soupy and he had no interest. I am going to the farm store tomorrow to see if I can find anything for him to eat. He doesn't act lethargic...he was walking well and doing well outside of the cage. Could he be depressed??? His mom was the other duck that I had and she was killed..they were companions. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice so I plan to let him out again. I will be taping his wing tomorrow for sure so wish me luck. I think I may try an ace bandage? Any help is appreciated! Thanks for checking in!
the farm store might have some special tape. I think it's called "vet tape" It won't stick to him but it sticks to itself so it stays put pretty well. I know our Tractor Supply has it in all different colors.

I will definitely look for the tape. Heading there in the morning thank you! And no I cannot bring him in the house. Our house has an odd layout and I would not be able to keep my dog away from him and he is scared to death of the dog right now even though it wasn't my dog that did the damage.

Good afternoon all. My drake is actually doing pretty well right now. He still is not eating his food but he will eat mixed greens and grass when he is out. I have been taking him out once a day for about an hour and he does very well and enjoys himself. Today he found a puddle and it was like Christmas morning for him!😊 I think the nutri drench is what really helped him so thank you so much for the wonderful ideas!!! Every day be seems better than the day before

Back
Top Bottom